Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok friends - on Snakeoil's counsel, I no longer am interested in the '67, but found this in NY - and it is sweet:

Please help me make a decision here........

https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5587182176.html

LONG talk with owner this am - very candid - he was not expecting my call, and offered to start the bike while I listened - it started on the first kick! And after a short warm-up, sounded great on tick-over idling.

He did not know much about Triumph's, but had one when young. This resto was done in Ohio where he bought it. He knows nothing about its prior history. He was honest about every defect - which are few - and the bike is super clean.

Matching serial numbers: ED52179

34k miles - of which he has only put 200 on it in last 15 years - but he rode it every year putting in fresh fuel and stabilizer.

He'll come off the price some, and I'm ready to drive to NY to pick it up next week........

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated......

GN

·
Super Moderator
13,386 Posts
I'd say it's a decent deal. Paint does not appear correct shade of Astral Red, but it could be the lighting.Serial number is not far off my old one and new one which were only a couple hundred apart.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Gator haven't talked in a while welcome back.

I try not to comment on prices I've gotten in to much trouble in the past.

Bike looks nice paint (and color) looks ok to me but pictures can hide stuff. Looks to be a survivor as horns are correct, foot pegs don't appear to be bent, side stand angle looks OK. Little things like left grip appears to be cut to clear horn button assy., twist grip & front fender bracket are correct.

It is missing the taillight extender for bikes after Jan 1,1970 (not to worry) The shocks also appear not to be original.

I don't have my info here but sometime in May '70 the transmission was changed to the leaf spring indexing from the plunger.

Again looks to be a nice piece your money your choice.

K

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kadutz -

Hey, thanks for the good feedback.......at this price, I'm not looking for a perfect bike - just a clean one in good running condition - and it seems to be that.......appreciate your detail points.

Hey, I was thinking people told me that the leaf spring for indexing was changed somewhere in mid-'72 in the first year after I got it........it shifts great, very rare to miss a gear in it.......of course, it's the 5-speed too..........

GN

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, GPZ - I'm supposed to get 16 new pics soon that should help see better what the color is........

Thanks!

GN

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
Budget for a new pair of tyres and tubes.I think that bike is worth a lot more but thats the UK prices for you.If you bought that and posted it here,you would make a quick £2000.Nice bike so snap it up gator,thats what gators do.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Budget for a new pair of tyres and tubes.I think that bike is worth a lot more but thats the UK prices for you.If you bought that and posted it here,you would make a quick £2000.Nice bike so snap it up gator,thats what gators do.
Rambo - when I asked if the tires were 15 years old, and he insisted, "Yes- but they looked like new", I told him no way they could be trusted with that age and the first thing I'd have to do is replace them - no biggie!

I love the handling of the Pirelli's I have on my '72 so I'm inclined to get another set of those.....

I am a little concerned about the color not being original as Grand Paul noted, the owner is certain it is not original.

Thanks!

GN

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Gator,

Nice looking bike.

Even with a few thou $ more put into it eventually, it will be, and is a really nice bike, and well worth the money. As for the shifter spring, my 70 Bonnie is PD324xxT120R. According to Gaylon Triumph switched to the leaf spring at ED52044 - in May 1970, but mine was built in Nov 70. So I would say just look under the bike to see what it is. Plus, there were, and are thousands of +70 Bonnies running around with leaf springs on their plungers that are working just fine.

The paint on your bike looks pretty darn good. I've attached a picture of mine with Hutchinson paint, and the color is pretty close to yours.

If you need any help when picking up the bike, please feel free to PM me, as we are only about 1 1/2 hours away. Based on your picture though, you will need to put on some clothes and leave the alligator at home, but other than that, if you need anything let me know.

Good luck with it. I couldn't imagine a nicer bike than my 70. You'll enjoy it a lot once you get it. Unless you have a young daughter who loves it even more than me -which is why you need to put some clothes on and leave the alligators home, etc....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
USTrophy -

Wow! Yours looks great! Thanks so much for the offer to help!

Do you know Snakeoil? Good friend, super great guy - one of the best guys on this forum......he found my '73 Trident for me in Rochester after my year long search for one closer to me - a great find.

Turns out he lives 20 min. from the owner of the '70 and is willing to check it out for me - he's a true old Triumph guru and it's perfect for me to have him look at it.

Cannot believe you also own the ONLY other bike on my wish list!!! A new T120!!!!!! I know the dealer here quite well and am planning a test ride soon.......is it as great a machine as everyone says it is?

If I get the bike as I hope, I'll be driving my old F-150 up there to get it, as I did the Trident.....20 years old but a great highway truck, even with its All Terrain tires and being a 4x4.......and it DOES have cruise control!

Oh, cannot imagine enjoying the '70 any more than I enjoy my '72.......THAT MY 27 YEAR OLD SON IS ALWAYS CONIVING TO RIDE instead of his Yamaha R6.....as does my 32 year old son instead of his GSXR.........what I WON'T miss is the extremely high seat of the '72 - a serious design error that really hurts those of us who are 'vertically challenged'......of course, when rolling, height makes no difference - and I know I WILL MISS the 5-speed tranny on my '72.......

Talk to me about your T120........

GN

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gator,
......... According to Gaylon Triumph switched to the leaf spring at ED52044 - in May 1970, but mine was built in Nov 70. So I would say just look under the bike to see what it is. Plus, there were, and are thousands of +70 Bonnies running around with leaf springs on their plungers that are working just fine.

So the leaf spring BEGAN on ED52044? or ENDED on ED52044?

GN

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
As for the shifter spring, my 70 Bonnie is PD324xxT120R. According to Gaylon Triumph switched to the leaf spring at ED52044 - in May 1970, but mine was built in Nov 70. So I would say just look under the bike to see what it is. Plus, there were, and are thousands of +70 Bonnies running around with leaf springs on their plungers that are working just fine.
PD 324xx was built in Nov 1969

K

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
So the leaf spring BEGAN on ED52044? or ENDED on ED52044?

GN

Gator

Leaf Spring began with ED52044 and is supposed to have run thru '72 model year. '73 750 Twin parts book shows the plunger again. I do not have a '73 650 UK parts book so I cannot make a comment on '73/'74 650 Twins.

K

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
The leaf spring has always been excellent on my 71.Like many bikes,if the gear lever is not operated right,it might jump out of gear and this is usually second gear.It is always my fault for not dabbing the lever properly.If i am riding and make a conscious effort to select properly,it stays put.As said,just look underneath and see if the plunger is missing.
5 gears ? never needed them on a Triumph and just seems to be more work for the foot.
I prefer the OIF framed bikes for agility and braking although that twin leader brake is supposed to be very good.I suppose it all depends on the terrain and where i live it is full of hills and bends.If i had more time and energy,i would have one of those but still too attached to my long term 71.
Regarding the new T120,it really is good and selling to happy buyers.On my list to buy next year as i wait to see if there are any recalls.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Kadutz, thanks for the correction on the year for the serial numbering. I forgot that Triumph's model year started in Aug of the prior year, so my 70 with a PD was built in Nov 69 while Gator's ED would be in May 70. But as Rambo and others have said, their is nothing inherently wrong with a leaf spring on the shifter, and lots of bikes have no problems at all, so it is not a deal breaker or anything.

Gator, you wanted pics of the new T120, so here are a few. The 70 Bonnie has been my lifelong bike over the last 46 years, so the new T120 has some big shoes to fill. It is a subject for a different thread, but they are (obviously) very different bikes. The new T120 is heavy at about 500 lbs, vs. a lean and muscular 370 lbs for the T120R. It is also more "cruiserish" with its 1200 high torque motor. The new bike gets an amazing 53+ mpg (US gallons) - about the same as my 70. Traction control and ABS are great. Overall, I like it, and of course it's nice to just hop on it and go on a trip without having to adjust the valves, etc. It is like a modern car. That said though, I was close to buying the 900 Street Twin instead. It is 80 lbs lighter, and I thought closer to the spirit of the original Bonnie. I was going to buy the ST then add wire wheels, etc to make it into a 900 cc version of the T120. The lack of a tach on the ST turned me off a bit though. I hear rumors Triumph may offer such a version next year. I am happy with the new T120, but it still doesn't stir my soul like the old 70, but it is a really nice, modern machine. The Thruxton R of course is probably, spiritually closest to the old Bonnies, but my back could never take one of those anymore.

If the purchase of your new 70 falls through for any reason, you might consider just jumping ahead 50 years and looking at the new ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pics! Pics! Pics!

Wow - what a responsive owner - to provide these so quickly - bike looks great - no, shocks are not original, no biggie - color looking close, maybe not as dark as original, perhaps a bit faded?.....looking good to me - comments & feedback.....let 'em rip......ENJOY!

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 102 Posts