Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this motor on a barn yard, nice guy told me he had it and the price was right for me. It turns over, shifts through all the gears, feels like there's 2 neutrals? (never owned a british bike but always wanted an old twin, like the pipes.) Not much rust, haven't gone into the transmission yet, but I really like how simple everything is, like a watch. All aluminum in nice shape, one of the valve covers I guess someone took some steel wool to, the other I sandblasted and is still nice and sandcasted. I own an ironhead sportster which I found in a storage container, and that's my daily driver now. I'd like to eventually make this triumph a daily driver, but money is tight now so might have to sell it as well. Missing a few bolts on the kicker cover and a couple on the valve covers, otherwise it's all there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The more I look at this motor and take it apart the more I appreciate the little buggar! I would love to put it in a frame between two wheels. Such a cool organic look to it, I've always been drawn to them and was glad when I stumbled upon this machine! I think I'm starting to like it more than the hog, and I haven't even ridden it, or started it up. I think it's the kick start mechanism! I like how the pipes come out like shoulders, bull dog stance. I'd hate to have to sell it, won't find many of these things, this is the first one I've seen around here. He also had a 63 he was keeping and building into a sweet chopper..

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
Looks to be a 67 - 68 TR6 650 engine, or a T120 with a TR6 single carb head. It'll likely have a 4-speed tranny.

They are great engines and don't take an advanced degree to overhaul, just a parts book, shop manual and access to this forum.

Since it's not likely to end up as a numbers-matching concours restoration, it can be anything you want it to be.

I know of a featherbed frame that a widow is selling for well under a grand, and I have a nice set of Ceriani roadholder fork copies I'll sell for a decent price. Can you say "Triton"?!

ooh, ooh, I just remembered i have a set of late 50s Triumph wheels with real nice shouldered aluminum rims...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like a fun project. Could be a chopper, street tracker, dirt tracker, satndard, cafe racer, road racer.... whatever you want!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice find, good luck with the build! I fell in love with the parallel twin the first time I rode one, prefer it now to the Harley v-twin. I have a '76 T140 750 bobber, nothing like an old Triumph with a hardtail.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The engines are beautiful, but a complete knock out when it has a Triumph motorcycle with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts