Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1969 TR25W Project

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  steve welte 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have posted a couple of times. I figure I will start and maintain a thread as I go about my project.
A few things about this project:
  • I have some mechanical experience, but never rebuilt or restored anything, or worked on a bike.
  • This is my late father's bike since it was new. 1969 TR25W Trophy. It hasn't been registered since 1981, but it has been garaged, and kicked over regularly.
  • Who knows how long since the engine ran? Not me.
  • It is in relatively good shape. He dropped it (hospital stay) back in 1976. I had to pick up the tank and fenders from his buddy's body shop. They primed them, and took out the dents. They need some touch up, but mostly ready for paint. The frame has little to no rust, most of the rust is surface crap on the bare metal (bolts and places where things wear).
  • My plan is not to restore to original. There is not enough value, and I want to go another way with it. Make it a vintage scrambler looking thing. Maybe black it out, or go with a dark green skins. I am not a fan of Chrome.

The first step is to get it started. As you can see from the pics, it is naked.(PIC)
-Gas tank, fenders, seat, skid plate are off. Tank was partially cleaned out, but needs a vinegar & pea gravel treatment (PIC) New petcock & gas lines bought.
-Carb removed (new one ordered). Just hook up (and tune if it starts)
-Battery tray off (ordered a battery, rubber & strap). Reassemble and Hook Up.
-Oil tank off. I will be cleaning out the old thick oil and replace the filter/bolt.
-I have degreased & cleaned everything I can reach. Unfortunately, the grommet for the alternator lead dissolved while washing.(PIC) New one ordered.
-I have ordered a series of gaskets and other miscellaneous.
Once all the stuff comes and the above is done, I just need to get some gas to it, and see if it starts. I know it has compression, new carb should take care of gas & air, spark is the big question mark.

Of course, then we will find out if the engine is good.
  • Best case scenario, it runs, I can mess with timing & tuning and give it a run down the road. Then, I can look at tires, brakes, and the front forks look a mess.
  • Worst case scenario, it doesn't start, I mess with it for a few weeks, take it to a mechanic, and eventually throw it off a cliff.
  • It will likely be somewhere in between.
Eventually, I hope I have to tackle the "how I want it to look" part.
Here is the disassembled "starting point." Let's see where this goes!

-Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Our condolences on your Dad's passing. You were blessed to have a Dad that rode, or even accepted bikes, my parents HATED (literally) all bikes.

Put a BSA 441 muffler on that thing, it'll look cool. The big sausage on a stick always seemed out of place to me on those thumpers.

I'd go with a reasonably original-looking classic Triumph paint scheme, one with scallops (that's just me).

Do me (and everyone who loves these things) a favor, stick the rough bodywork back on it for a straight side-on shot of both sides of the bikes, with a "clean" background, and make sure not to clip off the edges of the tires or tail light. It'll make a better "before" photo...

#3 ·
Thank you
That muffler is lame. The 441, if the pics I am seeing are correct, is much shorter. I like. That is WAY down the line on this project, though.
Because you asked nicely, here are some better "before" pics... I aint putting the fenders on.
FYI... I have the Triumph emblems for the tank, both the covers for the battery & oil tank, the full tail light assembly, grab bar for the seat, etc. I just have em in a box until i get to that point.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Plant Automotive lighting Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

#5 ·
Update: I drained & replaced the oil & oil filter. Put in a new battery, coil, spark plug & wire, condensor & points.
While I was waiting for parts, I went thru the electrical. Found a couple of bad connections, but verified that the headlight, taillight, horn all work. Just need a new pilot bulb and some bullet connectors.

I did a test yesterday and confirmed that I have spark!.
So, time to put on the new carburetor and get it going... except the throttle cable rusted out and broke off during the install.
I guess I get to wait another week or two while I get that ordered, delivered & installed. Ill replace the clutch cable while I am at it. Maybe even new levers. THe brake lever is broken anyway.

#6 ·
I pulled wrenches on the B25 BSA (pretty much the same) when those bikes were new. I did have a 441 that I rode for 3 years that I bought in 1968. In the late 70's I had 3 B 25's and one triumph like yours. Sadly I sold them all. I did get the pleasure of rebuilding a B25 engine about 6 years ago which was fun. Yes replace the clutch cable as they were a weak link back in the day. I must have broken a dozen of them in the day. Hope they are better today. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.