Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1969 forks in my project with yellow strength springs. Only thing is… they seem a bit to stiff .the forks are fully extended.
just wondered if anyone else finds these springs to stiff ?
I was told they came from a T100C

Please note the bike doesn’t have the engine fitted yet ! Maybe I should wait and see

I noticed tricórnio Andy has progressive springs listed …anybody out there using them ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have 1969 forks in my project with yellow strength springs. Only thing is… they seem a bit to stiff .the forks are fully extended.
just wondered if anyone else finds these springs to stiff ?
I was told they came from a T100C

Please note the bike doesn’t have the engine fitted yet ! Maybe I should wait and see

I noticed tricórnio Andy has progressive springs listed …anybody out there using them ?
Tricorandy that’s should read !! Dam predictive text

·
Super Moderator
8,837 Posts
Hi,
seem a bit to stiff .the forks are fully extended.
bike doesn’t have the engine fitted yet ! Maybe I should wait and see
I would.

tricórnio Andy has progressive springs
anybody out there using them ?
I am a big fan of progressive springs, both my T160's and my T100 with front disc brake have them specifically from Progressive Suspension.

So, when I was buying my T150, I was pleased to discover it had Progressive Suspension springs. (y) However, they are underwhelming ... (n) I suspect disc-brake forks progressive springs work well because the springs are long; otoh, my T150 has forks - and short springs - similar to your bike's forks/springs.

That said, a recent poster noted the difficulty of buying two standard springs of the same length but a pair of Progressive Springs were the same length; perhaps you will have to pay the premium just to have suspension without any additional problems caused by different-length springs? :(

Hope this helps.

Regards,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

I would.

I am a big fan of progressive springs, both my T160's and my T100 with front disc brake have them specifically from Progressive Suspension.

So, when I was buying my T150, I was pleased to discover it had Progressive Suspension springs. (y) However, they are underwhelming ... (n) I suspect disc-brake forks progressive springs work well because the springs are long; otoh, my T150 has forks - and short springs - similar to your bike's forks/springs.

That said, a recent poster noted the difficulty of buying two standard springs of the same length but a pair of Progressive Springs were the same length; perhaps you will have to pay the premium just to have suspension without any additional problems caused by different-length springs? :(

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Hi , thanks for the reply. Think I will wait and see how there are when the engine is fitted and the forks have worked a bit ( got the oil moving in them )

my last 500 had quite stiff springs and although you would feel the bumps more it did handle well !

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi , thanks for the reply. Think I will wait and see how there are when the engine is fitted and the forks have worked a bit ( got the oil moving in them )

my last 500 had quite stiff springs and although you would feel the bumps more it did handle well !
Oh and when you say your T100 has progressive springs I guess you mean a Hinckley bike ?
it’s confusing having old T100’s and Hinckley T100’s

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and when you say your T100 has progressive springs I guess you mean a Hinckley bike ?
it’s confusing having old T100’s and Hinckley T100’s
Or maybe a disc braked late unit ( must have had internal and therefore long springs )

·
Super Moderator
8,837 Posts
Hi,
when you say your T100 has progressive springs I guess you mean a Hinckley bike ?
Or maybe a disc braked late unit
Uh-uh, it's basically a '69 T100 but with a front end made from a mixture of '73-'78 triple and twin parts.

Lower yoke is T150 because that bolts into any '67-on C-range (unit 350/500) frame (aside, or any unit 650 'dry' (separate oil tank) frame if desired). Top yoke is the same for '73/'74 T150 and '73-'78 disc-brake twins,, Stanchions, sliders and wheel are the same for all front-disc-brake Triumphs with 'wire' spokes. Caliper and disc are the same for all 'single discs'. The only differences between T150 and the twins are the springs and dampers, my T100 has dampers and Progressive springs for a twin but I'm hoping shortly to change the dampers for one the upgrades.

I was inspired by the "disc braked late unit" - the '74 T100D - but, as only 25 were built and fewer have survived, I was (still am) too cheap to pay the premium to own one, plus I'm congenitally-unable to leave a bike as the manufacturer made it ... :rolleyes: Friend of mind put the basics of my T100 together about 1985 from his (absolutely humungous) stash, when NOS was plentiful and cheap because no-one was interested in 500's, (y) I finished it off buying what I wanted but he didn't have.

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts