Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin, 2009 Street Triple
348 Posts
Hi Rambo. I'm not sure what the thrust of this thread is, but it seems to me that you'd very much like to buy a nice classic Triumph at a reasonable price, but the cost here in England is too high compared to the US.
If that's the case, do what I did: buy from the US.
I bought this '68 Bonneville from Illinois, and this is one the pictures I used to make my decision to buy:

It cost me $4500/£3000 to buy, and ~$1500/£1000 to have it shipped to my house.
I spent about £1500/$2250 on parts to bring it up to this condition:

In total it cost me about £5500/$8250, which is a little more that I wanted to spend, my target being £5000.

Next up was this '74 Trident I saw on Craigslist (actual advert photo):

This bike cost me $3600/£2400, and again cost about $1500/£1000 to have it shipped to me.
I spent £400/$600 on a new exhaust, which was the usual American stubby setup.
I spent approximately another £700/$1050 on other parts to bring it to this condition:

Therefore, for £10,000/$15,000 I have two very nice machines.
Importing a bike is no big deal, and a few of us have done it.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Bucksfizz,

Nice looking restorations on both machines. Not to hijack this thread, but I was curious about the seat on the 68 Bonnie. The before photo shows what appears to be a thick aftermarket seat foam and cover, while the seat in the after photo looks much closer to the original seat profile. I re-did my seat a few years ago with aftermarket foam and cover, and really don't like it. I am planning to redo it this summer, and want to get the foam profile smaller to reproduce the original look. Any hints on how you did yours - it looks great.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Been to Kempton Park today and rebuildable mongrels are around at £5000 that i would not even consider with the work needed to get them running.
There is quite too much money floating all over the western world and this is best reflected in the rubbish some people will pay for rubbish.

It happens here too, and I just shake my head I wonder. RR

·
Registered
2019 Speed Twin, 2009 Street Triple
348 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I was curious about the seat on the 68 Bonnie. The before photo shows what appears to be a thick aftermarket seat foam and cover, while the seat in the after photo looks much closer to the original seat profile. I re-did my seat a few years ago with aftermarket foam and cover, and really don't like it. I am planning to redo it this summer, and want to get the foam profile smaller to reproduce the original look. Any hints on how you did yours - it looks great.
The seat that the bike came with was, in fact, incorrect in that it was the basket weave type applicable only to '69 and onwards models. Therefore, I bought the correct, plain seat cover and recovered it. It now looks like this:

The job was made all the more easy by following instructions on Vintage Bike Magazine.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt i would import a bike myself as i do like to see what i am getting prior to handing over the money.The 2 old bikes i own suit me at the moment and anymore would take more of my time which i like to spend out on the bikes,then for my other hobby of spending a fair bit of time abroad on cruise ships.
I will be in the Baltic this coming week visiting a few countries including Russia so going to look for any old bikes on the roads to photograph.Most of the European areas ride scooters with just a few bigger bikes.Found a few interesting bikes out in Croatia last year though.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I will be in the Baltic this coming week visiting a few countries including Russia so going to look for any old bikes on the roads to photograph.
I suspect I'd like to be taking a one way trip to Russia. I'm up to here with life in the west. RR :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts