Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I had a bit of an oil leak at the end of last summer and seized my motor:( I have decided to take the time and rebuild the engine and as much of the bike as is necessary and within my budget. I am completely new to this so any constructive advice would be most welcome. so far i have removed the engine from the frame, had new valves put and the cylinders re-bored. I am currently working on the primary side of the motor. thanks for any help you can provide. i will update as often as i can with pictures of my progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no was just asking if anyone had any tips/observations about rebuilding that they could offer. right now i am stuck trying to get the keyway out of the transmition shaft. have tried to wedge it out with a pair of dikes like i did the others but it is proving difficult. any suggestions?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nevermind...i got it out and have removed the back plate. does anyone know of a good shop here in the U.S. that you can get parts and the proprietary tools needed for rebuilding a triumph engine?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hello all,

I had a bit of an oil leak at the end of last summer and seized my motor:( I have decided to take the time and rebuild the engine and as much of the bike as is necessary and within my budget. I am completely new to this so any constructive advice would be most welcome. so far i have removed the engine from the frame, had new valves put and the cylinders re-bored. I am currently working on the primary side of the motor. thanks for any help you can provide. i will update as often as i can with pictures of my progress.
Most Triumphs have "a bit of an oil leak". How did this oil leak end up causing a seized engine. Did you run it dry? You say you are new to this but have installed new valves and bored cylinders and got new pistons. How do you know this work was necessary. What did your compression test tell you? Are you planning on cleaning out the sludge tube?

For anyone to offer constructive advice, you need to provide more information and history about the condition of the engine. Do you have an original Triumph parts and workshop manual? I'm trying to be as constructive as I can but you haven't given much to go on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about that, i will try and explain the situation a little better. I guess "a little oil leak" was a bit misleading. I left my house for a ride and after a few miles i felt my foot was warm. I looked down and my right foot was covered in oil. I got her home as soon as i could. Probably should have shut it down and trailered it back home but hind sight is 20/20:) When i took the top end apart all the oil seamed to be coming from a leak around the base of the exhaust side tappet block. The rocker box and valves on that side were also black with carbon. after pulling the cylinder block i could see that the pistons were scored from heat and there were marks inside the cylinders. I took all this down to my local shop and on the owners advice had new valves and guides put in and also had the cylinders bored and purchased new pistons and rings. I do have a workshop manual and also have a few videos that illustrate the tare down and rebuild of the motor. I plan on tearing it down to the crank and cleaning the sludge tube. I also plan on redoing the wiring as there seamed to be an intermittent problem so it seams best to just rerplace it while i have the bike torn apart. I hope this answers your questions. was just kind of interducing my project to the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts