Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm super stoked about this new 67 tiger- I have been looking for an old triumph for a long time and now it's mine all mine.

It runs great, starts right up, and seems to be well taken care of.

I wanted to present it to you experts to see if you can help me with some weird details. It's a T100S, which the seller told me was the UK version, and it has a smaller front wheel- is this a standard UK version quirk? Do you notice anything that might need fixing or changing? I am actually just going to paint the tank and get a different junk fender on it to paint black (this fender is too nice to change around), or just not use a fender in front, so I'm not too too concerned about total originality, but I am curious what you guys think of it:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Hi Granitsky, great looking bike :wink: The front wheel for home and general export is 18", USA was 19" so give us a number and we will see where is came from.
Roy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
good for you, chum! i asked a similar question about taking off a front fender last year about this time. red59 had a story about hitting a rotten skunk, and where the chunks flew, which made me drop the idea right then and there.

good lookin' scoot. just the right balance of care and wear.

greetings from elberton, ga -- the granite capital of the world.

·
Super Moderator
13,540 Posts
Keep the fender. Have it polished out (it may be stainless steel under there. If not, have it painted with the tank.

The bike looks like a real nice little twin. I couldn't tell from the light but are the gauges mismatched?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Granitsky, your face looks a lot like a bumper sticker i've seen. You must be pretty popular. :razz:

Nice bike. Ride it........A lot!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those pictures are actually of the seller, but my face looks like that too; I think it's a generational thing- we all look like that these days!

Did I mention the numbers match?

I actually don't have the bike yet, I just zipped up to his house last night to check it out and give him some moolah to tide him over until I can pick it up next week, so I don't have a serial number yet, but I will provide that when I get it.

Two things that he thought were different from original were the gauges- they arent hooked up or something, and the tach is totally shot, like it looks like it exploded in there or something, so I will have to rebuild/replace them. The other thing he mentioned was the color of the jug. He said it should be black so someone must have taken it off for some reason and painted it. Does this ring true?

Other than a few cosmetic changes, I'm gonna keep it stock and ride the ***** out of it. I was surprised at how nice it looked- there wasn't that much rust and the wires and electricals looked pretty fresh and the wires weren't too hard. The rims were shiney and fresh.

I'm gonna do some research, but what are the major upgrades that I can do to make it more reliable? On 68 mustangs we swap out the points for Pertronix electronic ignitions; is there something like that? Boyer? Where do I get that stuff?

Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Like Dagad said:

Step one is give us some serial numbers. Dagad will be able to track down more info on the bike than one thought possible fourty years later.

AS for upgrades, I think you will get a mixed bit of advice in here. If it rides fine why upgrade anything. I did swap out the points for a boyer when I did my resto, but I know people who swear by the points and some who say 'set it and forget it' with electronic ignition.

I'm personally of the mindset to keep it as original as possible. However, if your face looks like this: :-D Your on the right track.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the gauge link! Does anyone know if the smiths can be rebuilt as easily as a BMW speedometer/tach? Or do they require tools more specialized than a small screwdriver?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The blade levers (non ball end) and 18" wheel indicate that it's general export, as mentioned. The seat cover looks to be for the 68-74 500s....the chrome strip should be a textured black one for 67.
Silver-grey paint for the jugs.
Great find.
If your points system is in good shape, I'd stick with it. It is dead reliable, compared to the Boyer. Now, to be sure, my experiences with Boyers are exceptionally bad, compared to many stories I hear on this, and other, sites....but I have had terrible luck with them. I am just now starting to use Sparx's copy of the Boyer and do not yet have any extensive experience with them so can't comprare. Thay are less expensive.
I ran my 68 Tigerville with the 6CA points for almost 11 years and now nearly 90K miles with NO ignition points related problems or failures. Had a bad batch of PVL coils which had me pulled over in Volcano Village on the Big Island on a Labor Day run....I WAS carrying a spare.
Your bike will be running the earlier 4CA points of which I am not such a big fan, so if the breaker cam is worn, then go ahead and consider an EI system, I guess. The fact that the short stroke 500 is designed to rev more than the big twins argues for an EI system, I concede.
You might consider a Sparx alternator, or late Lucas encapsulated alternator stator, as your bike, if original, has the last of the alternators with the exposed windings, and they're prone to being damaged by vibration. I like the Sparx three phase high output kit, as I use the H4 conversion headlamp and don't run any battery.
For fun, you can find a 19" wheel with the 8" DLS brake and a set of the Daytona carbs and inlet adaptors and a split cable, make it into a 67 Daytona with real brakes. That was the year and bike that Triumph won the Daytona 200 with Gary Nixon piloting. You won't get the hot performance without a cam and piston change, but wot da ell. The cams in the 500s can be changed by removing the timing cover, but it's best done with the top end off, too.
Triumphs are like Barbie dolls, you can dress them up all sorts of ways. Ride is as is for a while, Daytona-fy it, if you feel like it, then put it back. Get a set of stainless fenders, which go with anything, and a spare tank or two to paint any way you want.
Put some good modern tires on it and ride the thing like you mean it. Nice agile bike, reasonably quick, if you keep it on the pipe.
As is, this model is really for toddling along on a backroad, purring and clicking happily as you take in the scenery.
But........the factory took this basic bike and turned it into a competent racer which went 137mph on the high banked Daytona track and won the world championship back when it really counted....you had to win road race, TT, Flattrack races to win the AMA No. ONE.
Cool bike, have fun.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess serial number HS6905 should be H56905, putting it in 67 T100 range. Is there any other info out there that we can muster besides when and where it was made?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Give Roy a couple of days. He'll give you all the info you could want.

[ This message was edited by: quagmire on 2007-03-14 19:04 ]

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wish I had as many original Triumph parts on mine as you have when I got my last Triumph. Mine was a screwed up chopper! You have saved a lot of legwork. I'm not knowlegable as I once was, especially 500's, but from what I see, it's more than a good start, it's a good find! Chainguard, fenders that aren't hacked, tank trim, mufflers, a real headlight and seat, air cleaner a sidestand that isn't busted!
I like those tank emblems. When I built my first Triumph in 84 ( from a pick up truck full of boxes of bitsa) I found a pair of emblems like yours at a swap meet, and a few months later, I found a tank that they fit! They were 150 miles apart! Lots of parts chasin' back then.
Looks like a good investment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice Bike! It seems familiar to me though.
I hope you enjoy it for a long time. That guy sitting on it should put some jeans on and get an endorsement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha ha Chiefeagle,

I just made it home from your place and didn't have a problem with the tie downs at all. I just got back from a quick (freezing) ride and man does that bike RULE!! Thanks again for everything!

Here are my first pictures of me on it, you can slightly tell how I feel about it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Nice pose Granitsky :razz: OK you have a 1967 model T100. It went from the factory to a dealer in London. That's why the 18" front wheel. Original color was Pacific Blue / Alaskan White. Guess it was exported on a personal basis, or a Brit emigrated to USA and took it along?????
NICE BIKE.
Roy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts