Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a wrecked 500 triumph. Frame is a bit tweaked below the swingarm mount. Whats the easiest way to get the swingarm pin out. It looks like it is strait--the pin. Seems to be stuck, don't want to beat the thing to death. I don't have the tool in the repair book.
Mygal

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pics ?

Bought a wrecked 500 triumph. Frame is a bit tweaked below the swingarm mount. Whats the easiest way to get the swingarm pin out. It looks like it is strait--the pin. Seems to be stuck, don't want to beat the thing to death. I don't have the tool in the repair book.
Mygal
Can you post a pic or two?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
The good old days!

Just happen to have a manual a little unsure as to if we are on the same bit.
If what you are trying to remove is the the spindle out of the bushingsyou will need some threaded bar. This needs to have a washer or such like on one end that is the same dia as the spindle and less than the bush. The other end you need a washer or such like that is bigger than the bush i.e. swingarm dia. Now put a nut on the bar, bigger washer end and screw away. This should draw out the spindle. Obviously spindle needs to be able to pass through the washer. To replace spindle you use the same principle and tool. If you replace bushes you will need to line ream the bushes. Bushes should be easier to remove as the swingarm should be off and you can get heat to the suckers.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will try to post a picture. I am not sure I am allowed to send a picture or not.
The spindal is what I need to remove. The swingarm was bent from the wreck. I cut the legs of the swingarm off to get them out of the way. I tried to "beat" the spindal out so I could replace the swingarm with a strait one that I have. I have a manual and could see the tool to use but figured I could just pound it out and use the old spindal in the "new" swingarm. I could heat everything up and see if that helps. I was going to take the frame to a auto body shop and have them make it strait. Paint it and start to put it all back togeather. The motor seems to be in good shape, transmision is iffy. I think I have enough stuff to put 2 of these things togeather. Should end up with 2 "street trackers" to sell.
Hope to hear of a way to get the spindal out easily.
Mygal

·
Registered
253 Posts
The swingarm spindle can be a bugger to get moving. A soft brass or copper punch, penetrating fluid,some heat on the frame lug and a big hammer will get in moving but if the bike is stripped down an engineers with a press will get it out with no more damage.
See this thread for photos on same problem: http://www.triumphrat.net/members-restoration-and-rebuild-projects/170161-dads-triumph-21-a.html .
Just remember to assemble rear end and front end so you can check wheel alignment before getting to painting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the spindle out now. Took a good pressing. Now just need to straiten the frame a bit and start to put it all back togeather. I have a used swingarm in good shape. The spindle seems tight in the bushings that are in the "new" replacement swingarm. Do I need to, or should I get new bushings and have the fitted to the spindle?
Mygal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts