Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a customized bonneville bobber (1967 650 re-borred to 750cc, Boyer MK III elec. ignition, w/points, kick start only).

Bike was running fine until 2 days ago, I was on the highway at about 45-50mph, felt a 'lurch' and assumed I had run out of gas (I knew I was low but thought I had enough to reach my destination) pulled over and pushed for a short distance to a gas station and filled up.

When I tried to restart the bike the ignition seemed to have failed. I do have lights btw.

Now my bike is prone to troublesome starting, but since the spring and more frequent riding over the last 6 weeks or so it's been fairly reliable. Went through all the procedures, tickling, open throttle, waiting, just no "catch" at all. Pushed the bike home and took a look the next day.

I discovered that my plugs are not getting spark (removed plugs from cylinders, and rested them on the fins and kicked). However, when I turn my key to the "on" position and watch the plug I can see a small spark on both plugs.

My battery was purchased about two months ago, I took it out, gravity tested, got 4 cells at 3/4 charge and 2 cells at Full charge. I'm trickle charging that now and will check again when I get home from work tonight.

A buddy of mine is suggesting it may be the points (assuming the battery doesn't turn out to be the problem which we both doubt) I've been looking around this morning for some information on how to go about testing/evaluating points and I'm not seeing much on my era of Bonnie.

So... my question to the forum is, does it sound plausible that I'm dealing with bad point(s)? And if so, how does one go about testing them? If not the points, where to next? (the fact that I get that small spark when the key goes to "on" is leading me to believe that the spark cables are ok... no?)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Tedzo

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
It might be a bad condenser ?

Or a bad connection to it. The condenser is supposed to smooth out the spikes in the points and prevent them from burning out. But they can die and either give nothing or not enough of a spark.

They're cheap so I'd replace it and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
12,535 Posts
With a Boyer, not only should you NOT have points, you should DEFINITELY NOT have condensers in the system.

Turning the key on and off, producing a spark, means the Boyer box is PROBABLY working. You may have issues at teh rotor or stator; either the screw that holds the rotor came loose, or the stator failed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GrandPaul / Bob,

Yeah, I've got a pair of switches (hi & lo beam headlamp) and a keyed ignition switch that are wired into my battery, boyer box, and to two points (one making 3 connections, the other 2) then plug wires from the points to the sparks.

I'm sure it's not the way anybody would recommend it being done but the bike is very custom and I, obviously not being very knowledgeable about electrics, kept everything as is, 'cuz it was working until I killed it.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone!
Tedzo

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Hi GrandPaul / Bob,

Yeah, I've got a pair of switches (hi & lo beam headlamp) and a keyed ignition switch that are wired into my battery, boyer box, and to two points (one making 3 connections, the other 2) then plug wires from the points to the sparks.

Do you mean the plug wires go from the COILS to the spark plugs? Can you take some pictures of your wiring under your seat and inside the points cover on the right side of your engine? Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I beg your pardon, I am using the wrong term.

After a quick google image search I'm speaking of the ignition coils. (I have 2)

I'll try any get some pics up today.

Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts