Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum. I’ve some experience with motorcycles, first Bultaco Pursangs in the 1970’s, then on to BMW bikes. I had a K75S and rebuilt most of it. Then onto a K1300S, perfect shape and very fast and smooth - passed on to another rider in 2019.

I’m in the northern part of Virgina, in the USA.

Now those have gone and I’ve recently acquired a Triumph T120R. The bike is a 1967 T120R Bonneville frame (DU49062) and the engine from a 1969 T120R (EC 19971). It has been in storage for the past 30 years or so. It was rebuilt in about 1982, with a Routt 800cc big barrel kit. Apparently it wasn’t ridden much after then, the owner being in the military and moving around a bit while the bike was in storage.

So I am trying to decide how to best approach this beast. The Amal monobloc dual carburetors are off the bike, and they have the numbers of “10 66” and “389/95” written on the intake flanges. So I am wondering where to get a rebuild kit for these carburetors - or perhaps new carburetors?

Since the bike was rebuilt in 1982 and not ridden much after, I was thinking of just trying to rebuild the carbs and install them and do a good change of oil and fluids and such and trying to give the bike a go - that is see if I can get it running.

The gas tank is rusted out so I need a new tank. I was looking for something simple, and saw some of the tanks for sale on eBay from India. I’ve heard these are not so great. Although I see they also have an alloy/aluminun tank that looks pretty nice.

I am not trying to restore this bike, but just get it running and ridable - with a look to it being a bit more of a scrambler/desert sled style.

So I am wondering if any of you might know the provenance of the carburetors and/or where to get a rebuild kit for them. Also, any suggestions or a replacement gas tank?

Thanks for any advice. I imagine this forum has a number of threads that will have some great information. I will appreciate any of you having some advice or suggestions about the best places to go for parts and information.

Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GrandPaulZ,

Thanks for the response and advice - here and and the other forum. I had someone else suggest new carbs and I thank you for the advice on the 932's. I have also heard that Amal 930 Mk1 Premier 30mm carbs are good for this engine. Do you know what the difference between the two carb might be? Also thanks for the "waking the sleeping beast" narrative, which I will need to follow. On the carbs, it seems like the newer model would be a lot less troublesome that rebuilding the old ones?
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
8,870 Posts
Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. :)

Burlen Amal Premier 932 Concentric carbs
Amal 930 Mk1 Premier 30mm carbs
Do you know what the difference between the two carb might be?
To clarify:-

. Burlen are the current Amal licencee, their website is linked in your TriumphTalk thread.

. "Premier" are Burlen's upgraded version of the original Concentric. Original Concentrics replaced Monoblocs from part-way through '67. Their primary criterion was they should be cheaper than Monoblocs; they had/have several faults that make them a pita for the way old British bikes are owned and used today, hence the Premier version. (qualified (y)).

. Apart from that, the only difference is "932" have 32 mm. ID main venturi, "930" have 30 mm. ID main venturi; you might want to measure the ID of the big 'oles in your bike's carb. mountings before deciding between 932's and 930's?

seems like the newer model would be a lot less troublesome that rebuilding the old ones?
Possibly. Your TriumphTalk thread advises you to check the costs. Burlen also make new Monoblocs.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Super Moderator
13,542 Posts
Apart from that, the only difference is "932" have 32 mm. ID main venturi, "930" have 30 mm. ID main venturi; you might want to measure the ID of the big 'oles in your bike's carb. mountings before deciding between 932's and 930's?
@Dr. Zo if the intake manifolds measure 30mm, I'd have them bored to 32, and smooth tapering down to match the head's ports.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StuartMac and GrandPaulZ - thanks again for the information. I've posted some more photos on Triumphtalk too. Here are the state of my carburetors.
Automotive tire Tire Wood Vehicle brake Rim
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle tire Tread
Gas Auto part Electrical wiring Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Machine tool

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am not of the mind set that you should immediately go out and buy new carbs. I have quite a few old Triumphs running monoblocs and they run great. There is nothing wrong with that carb. I would clean the carbs you have and get the bike running, then make a decision as to whether or not you "need" new carbs. Why spend the money for new carbs to find out the engine some serious issues that you don't want to deal with?

As for the India tanks, I have seen both good and bad ones. It seems like it is luck of the draw with them. Look on ebay for a good used tank, there are a lot of tanks on there.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a great idea mach1970. Especially since I was able to get in touch with the previous owner and found he had the bike running last without problems in 1984. The he went off to school and the bike has been in several storage sites since then. The carbs were removed in one move so the moving company could know there was no gas in the engine. I appreciate your comment on the carbs as well as the gas tanks. I've been looking on ebay quite a lot and will continue to do so. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts