Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has info on using dual monoblocs on a 1966 tr6 single carb head with webco turnouts . I have a pair of monoblocs marked 389/228 , i like the looks of the carbs on the bike especially with some long velocity stacks on them. they appear to be complete and in good shape is it possible to use them and get them properly tuned? Any advice greatly appreciated
Thank You
John

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Haven't done it, but tried similar, either the float chambers get is the way of each other or you can't easily get at the adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
9,083 Posts
Hi John,
monoblocs marked 389/228
According to Amal, they're for '66/'67 BSA Lightning. Fwiw, according to the Triumph '66 parts book, Bonnevilles were fitted with twin 389 Monoblocs, but suffixed "/203".

As TR6 were single-carb., from what Mick's posted, you need to see if the "webco turnouts" splay the carbs. far enough apart to allow getting at the timing-side carb. feasible?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
810 Posts
The BSA's used handed carbs, so 389/228 and 689/228, as it happens I think I have 4 sets!. Was going to start refurbing carbs, so bought some 40, mostly 389's, still sitting there!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Stuart and Mick , thank You guys for your responses , I got these cheap on ebay a couple years ago , i wasnt sure if it would make a difference, using them on BSA 650 or Triumph 650. i figured if i couldnt make them work, re-sell on ebay. I was just wondering if others have done what i'm thinking of doing .
Thanks again
John

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Everyone , hope Everyone is doing well .
As for my carb issues , I dont really want to use the mikuni because of clearance issues for the filter and the monobloc 389's would look cool , but,
How about using this carb on my tr6r project ? I believe its new it came with a bunch of parts i bought years ago .
Its a 932 . From what i've read 930 would be the carb to use for my tr6r application using a single carb, but i have the 932 , if it is possible to use ?any advice on jetting/settings, my engine bore is +.60 over
Advice as always greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,596 Posts
You will just have to re-jet it to the TR6's spec and I'd check the slide number as well.

Then, do plug chops to fine-tune.

You should be fine as long as you don't give it wide open throttle until your revs are over about 4,000

1 - 9 of 9 Posts