Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I usually hang out in other parts of the forum since I have a 2005 Bonneville. I was talking to a guy I go to church with today and he found out I recently bought a Bonneville and he said he has a 1966 Bonneville that has been chopped, that was running fine when he parked it years ago but he never road it again after that. He said it is complete but not sure to what extent it has been chopped. What should I look for when I go see it? He wants $1500 for it. Not sure of it's value. Any help would be great!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That seems a bit much for a chopper. But it depends on the bike. If you can get some pics and post them so we can see what your looking at.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yea, pics would be helpful.

A chopped or bobbed Triumph is worth next-to-nothing to some, as all they can think about is how much it's going to cost them to return it back to stock form.

To others, like me it's worth more money than a stock one in similar condition, as some work has gone into it to make it into a bobber, etc.

It really depends, but $1,500 seems decent to me.

One mans junk is another mans treasure. :-D

JOHN

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's a great price. To find a unit 1963-1970 Bonneville in the UK in bits would be about $3000- $4000.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On 2007-02-02 17:41, GrandPaulZ wrote:
For $1,500.00, it better have a good running engine and hopefully a decent, unchopped frame. Either that or a very nicely done chopper that at least runs.
If it has a bolt-on hardtail on an otherwise stock frame then it just needs the oem rear section. Some owners retained all the oem parts while others sold/traded/junked them.

Generally speaking, a chopped Triumph would have a hardtail while those that retain the oem frame are customs or bobbers. Meaning, many so-called chopped Triumphs are actually customs/bobbers.

·
Super Moderator
13,548 Posts
Right, as I said, an un-chopped frame and/or a good running engine is the best value.

UNLESS it is a very well & tastefully done chopper (actually "chopped"), that one intends to restore as a classic chopper (also somewhat valuable).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully will get to see it in the next few days and will take my camera.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts