Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1966 TR6 colours

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Redmoggy 
#1 ·
So 1966 TR6 home market were they all blue and white or were there other options.

#7 ·
I can remember a guy in Bath in mid seventys had a 68 Bonnie with red and silver tank and extra chrome on oil tank and side panel was a very beautiful bike I loved the way the red had rubbed through a bit oh and the sound was just amazing.

#10 ·
Wow Rod now that's a really fine looking Tr6 is that a UK model mines in tea chests and has been since I completely stripped down the motor in 1979! thought the blue was much lighter than that I could go with that. I even like your seat.

#11 ·
Yes this ones a UK bike, I shipped it with me when I emigrated. The paint is a Candy as it was from the factory basically a translucent blue over a silver base, because of this the sun would quickly bleach the blue from the original finish making it much lighter over time. I'm the third owner of this bike the first was killed soon after he purchased it and the bike went into storage until the early 80's when a friend of mine picked it up at auction. He had a minor shunt and the bike was re painted soon after ( a nasty metalic blue! ). When I stripped the paint I found the original finish and applied my candy to match it best I could ( Candy colours get darker the more you apply ).

The seat is also as it should be for a 66 model, although this bike was actually special ordered with an all black seat as fitted to the competition models. I quite like the grey top myself but I'm in two minds whether to return it to all black since it's about due a new cover. I have 25000 miles on that seat, it's comfy!

Rod

#12 ·
Well I'm just starting to get a few bits done on mine have had wheels rebuilt stainless rim n spokes and collecting all bits up together for the engine rebuild.bought it in 78 bit of a wreck rode it around for a year .then bought T140e which I've still got.have got more time now than I've had in last 40 years so can tackle Tr6 now if it comes out half as good as yours will be chuffed.dont know if I can save seat pan foams knackered for sure.

#13 ·
Well I'm just starting to get a few bits done on mine have had wheels rebuilt stainless rim n spokes and collecting all bits up together for the engine rebuild.bought it in 78 bit of a wreck rode it around for a year .then bought T140e which I've still got.have got more time now than I've had in last 40 years so can tackle Tr6 now if it comes out half as good as yours will be chuffed.dont know if I can save seat pan foams knackered for sure.

#15 ·
RK Leighton mage the seats originally and are still in business.
Mine came from TMS a some 12 years ago.
Best guy for right colour paint is John Chritchlow
Rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.