Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1966 T120R... The forever project

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  BigSky 
#1 ·
Hello. Thought I'd get serious and post progress (since I'm finally making some) on a bike I've owned for over 25 years...

My girlfriend (now my wife of over 22 years) bought the bike for me in Missoula, Montana from a character who mostly dealt in Indian bikes and parts. The Triumph had been stored outside under a tarp for a while, but it was a matching numbers bike with a California title, though it hadn't been registered since 1979.

We did get it started, but it wasn't really safe to ride in the state it was in, and I commenced to strip it down shortly after. Needless to say, it has essentially remained in that state for many years, with a few attempts to get the project going again at different times… money being the main factor in continuing.
We lived in Portland, Oregon for a while. I met the Sandy Bandit. Dave Wedlake fixed my sidestand lug, sidecover and chainguard.

We moved back to Iowa and I started back on the bike in earnest a few years ago. I’ve found someone locally to help me with the bottom end of the engine… which is basically finished. Klempf’s did head and cylinder bore work several years ago.

At this point I’m focusing on finishing up the frame to a point where we can get the engine fitted and started up. My goal is to keep as close to correct as is feasible using original parts when I can find them. The bike was missing a lot of stuff. I have most of the big stuff now. I am thoroughly acquainted with the parts manual. :)

I haven’t posted a lot, but I am constantly on this site. I’m usually able to find answers to my questions in a search. Snakeoil’s write up of his restoration on the same year bike has also been immensely helpful.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

The bike when I bought it...1994

As it sits this afternoon... handlebars are ready to mount, but I can't do this until I get it out of the sunporch. I'm working on mounting fenders. The chainguard isn't bolted. I realized I'm going to have to remove the rear wheel again to mount this which should probably be mounted before fitting the rear fender... aggh! Of course I'm missing the front bolts for the chainguard.

Anyways, I'll try to keep up with updates. Thanks for looking.

Scot
1966 T120R DU38319

See less See more
#2 ·
Mounting center stand

I read a few different ways to do this, but this is what worked for me...

Bolting up the center stand is easy enough... attaching the spring is another story. I used a section of single strand electrical wire, and with the spring attached to the center stand I looped the wire around the end of the spring. I then ran the other end of the wire through the front engine mount. I tied the ends of the wire together and used a pliers to wind the wire which in turn stretches the spring. If you've ever staked a tree, it's the same process. I was able to stretch the spring to a point to get the other end around the tab on the swingarm. I suppose if you had the engine in you could tie the wire around the front wheel or some other fixed point. I left the insulation on the wire so it wouldn't damage the finish.

#6 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the inspiration Rod!

Got the engine in the frame. It went pretty well just lifting it in myself as my daughter fed the stud through the front engine mount. I brought it in from the primary side with the front of the engine tipped up, then lowered it into the front mount. Thick towels were used to protect the frame.

Trying to figure out what to tackle next...

#8 ·
Just a helpful suggestion for you. I found this out the hard way on the 1962 Bonneville I am restoring. Not sure if it is the same on your 66 but, it would have been one million times easier to install the chain guard before installing the rear fender. You wouldn't think so, but trust me it would have been. The way I did mine, starting from where you are now, finish engine build, install front fender, headlight bucket, oil tank, oil lines, mount as much of the electrical as you can (rectifier, horn, etc). Start running the wiring, install chainguard and rear fender so you can finish wiring for the back half of the bike, throttle cable, etc. The very last thing I install is the gas tank. I don't want to have to take that off and on and rish scratching it. I even start the engine and tune without the gas tank by using an auxiliary tank hung from an IV Pole I have in the garage. Also, I mount up some old headers to start and tune the bike so I don't run the risk of blueing my brand new headers due to too lean of a carb setting intitially. They will blue in seconds. After tuned and I am sure the bike is running well, then I install the new shiny headers.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob

#9 ·
Thanks Rob. I'm a process, checklist sort of person, so your advice really helps.

I actually posted a question a few weeks ago about mounting the fenders. One of the things I was concerned about was the rear fender's close relationship to the chain guard. I was advised by my mechanic to install and finish the engine build, so the chain can be fitted... then install the chain guard, then rear fender. So I did switch course, and am now working on finishing the engine.

My mechanic who went through the bottom end and has helped with a few other things wants to do the initial startup and has the exact same setup you described.

Best -

Scot

#10 ·
Hey Scot,

Yes, if you are following my restoration of a 1962 Bonneville, I mention the chain guard. On my bike, you definitely want to mount the chain guard before the rear fender. Almost impossible otherwise. So yes, install the chain, chain guard, then rear fender.

Good luck and let me know if you want to know anything else.

Rob

#11 ·
Moving along... in the past couple of years here's my progress...

Timing side is buttoned up. I fitted a Morgo oil pump, polished the covers. Replaced the rocker box o-rings The head is loosely fitted. I spent a fair amount of time making sure I had correct PRT crush.

I've got all of the parts for primary side, currently checking sprocket alignment. Slowly, but surely. I'd love to get her running this year.

Automotive tire Product Bicycle part Motor vehicle Rim

Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

#15 ·
Ron Boelman in Gilbert, Iowa. He has a body shop and is an excellent body man as well as super nice. He does some custom work as well. I purchased the paint from Don Hutchinson and Ron used that. The paint schemes with descriptions are out there. Here's one source https://triumphbonneville120.co.uk/paint-specifications.php

I'm fairly happy with it. There was a dent and pretty bad crease in the original tank which had been repainted red. I can still see a bit of the crease. No one else would probably notice unless I pointed it out (although many on this site probably would 😆).

Are you in Boone? I'm in Ames? I see a 66 in your profile pic. Would love to chat.

Scot

#16 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm in Boone! I own a 71 T120R. a 69 TR6R and the 66 T120R which is my latest acquisition. All are original paint and in very good condition. With the exception of old tires on the TR6R, a joy ride to Ames or Des Moines is possible. I rode the 71 down to Baxter Cycle a couple of summers ago, runs like a champ! Private Message me if you'd like to see my 66 for any guidance during your rebuild. I could ride over or you could come to my place. I rebuilt a 69 Bonneville from a basket case and here in the restoration forum you can find both the 1969s I have owned.:)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

#18 ·
The latest progress... primary drive finished - cover not fully mounted, handlebars and controls mounted, headlight mounted, front fender mounted, now getting ready to drill the rear. FYI, the bike had no front fender. The rear was bobbed, with several "extra" holes. Thanks to Happyfeet for measurements from his original 66.

Slowly............but............................................................surely.

#19 ·
Wow, nicely done. I just started restoring the exact same model/year and these progress shots are incredibly helpful. Please keep them coming!

Are you planning to polish the clutch adjuster plug? I noticed the other day they shine up remarkably well with sandpaper and polishing compound. Seems like it would match the great job you did on the primary cover.