Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings: Don't say I didn't warn you about really dumb questions. I am wondering if what I am doing is really dumb as well. I have a little "lump", as it has been described, that I am working with. The motor has been identified (here) as a 1966 500cc. The frame seems to be a Japanese something. By any means, I have now separated the engine from the frame and want to tear it down. Exploratory surgery as it were. Let me make it clear that I have never, in my 62 years, done anything this intensive with a motor. O.K., now that the laughter has subsided, could you point me to a shop manual for this motor? Any resources on the web that will help during this admittedly steep learning curve? Thank you for any information you might be able to provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
If you can locate one, an original triumph manual would be good. I have always found the Haynes manuals to be adequate. One thing with the Haynes, is if you cant find what you want, a phone call to them will usually get a useful response.
When you decide to split the crankcases, be aware there are hidden screws between the the two halves on the inside near to the cams of the camshaft. Do not forget to remove these.
I really like these little motors, and they can be as smooth as a sewing machine or pack a real punch. Do not worry about the bronze timing side bearing, They only started to be problematical after 40 years of hindsight. In practice I have never heard on one failing during the 60's and 70's.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Go for the factory manual and get the factory spares book. The Haynes manual uses photos that can be very poor quality and even misleading. The factory manual uses line drawings which are much clearer and also goes into more detail. Try http://www.britishonly.com/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your responses, excellent references. Again, thank you. Looks like I just lost my excuse not to dive in. STMike, I appreciate the offer, and may call on you. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts