Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So, hopefully one last final question before I stick a pin in this bike and call it finished. Originally this bike did not run air filter, just short velocity stacks. I will be riding this bike on occasion and an not real keen on running it without air filters. The monoblocs do have threads for the velocity stacks. What kind of filters are you guys running on these bikes that did not come with filters?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Big day today. Finally finalized my fuel lines and their routings. Filled the tank with gas for the first time (ran it off an auxiliary tank last time), opened the petcocks and checked for leaks. All clear. Tickled the carbs and she started on the first kick. Woohoo. Backed her down off the lift and for the first time....squeezed the clutch lever, clicked her down into first gear, slowly let the clutch out, and we went for our first ride down the driveway! It was awesome. She shifted through the gears beautifully and ran great. Only went about 1/2 a mile, but it was great to finally be able to see her on the road. She is running a little rich, so I need to finalize some carb adjustments, but I got to ride her for the first time. After I get the carbs set, then I will install the new exhaust that is waiting in the box for her and take some final pics for you all.

Thanks again for the help guys,
Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Last night I finally spent a little more time on the 1962 Bonneville. The carbs all tuned up and the bike is running great. So, I removed the test headers and installed my brand new exhaust system and the air filters that I am going to run the bike with. I just can't bring myself to not run air filters, even though that is how these bikes came when new. The only thing I am waiting on now, is my newly rebuilt Chronometric gauges, and my parcel grid rack. Then she will be complete. Hope you all like the photos.

I far cry from where this poor old girl started.

·
Super Moderator
12,730 Posts
That will make a great before & after contrast photo!

When you get the tank rack installed, get the bike out and park it in front of your garage door and get a straight side-on shot without accidentally cropping the tail light or front tire, nice and level (both sides). I always save those shots at high resolution for my records (insurance, etc)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
GrandPaulZ - I will do that for you. Last night I got the Parcel grid installed on the tank. Not easy as it should be, had to make some "adjustments" to the grid to get it to line up with the holes in the tank. Gauges are supposed to be here next Monday, so hopefully that happens and then she will be done. Also, over the weekend I picked up my next British project. A 1957 Triumph Tiger Cub Competition model (T20C). Probably won't start that till winter though as it is riding season now.

And here is the Cub. It is painted the wrong color by PO, and it has some other issues but should be a pretty easy project.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #111 (Edited)
Yesterday was like putting the cherry on top of the ice cream sunday. My new, beautifully rebuilt gauges showed up. So of course I had to run out to the garage and put them on.

They look great. Big shout out to Vintage British Cables. Andy there was absolutely great to work with and turned out a fantastic product. Best company I have dealt with during this project.

I still have to make up some wires for the light bulbs in the gauges, and then I will take her off the lift and get some finished pics outside for everyone.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Wow! You have a beautiful 62 Bonneville. Nice job!!!
Vintage British Cables also did the gauges on my 70 Bonneville and after 4300 miles they still work great. They're a great company to do business with!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Yesterday I officially called the bike finished. Took it out for a nice 20 mile ride, came home and checked everything out and all is well. She ran great, the orange really sparkles in the sun. All around I am really happy with how this bike turned out, probably the prettiest Triumph I own now. Only thing left is I am still on the hunt for a nice oil tank. That's why the decals aren't on mine yet. In the meantime I will riding and enjoying this bike over the summer. Thanks again for all the help that people on this forum gave me during this restoration.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
One last post on this restoration. Took the bike out yesterday for it's second ride after completion. She started up on the first kick, Runs great, and nothing seems amiss. Went out for over an hour and she just purrs along. It is really weird watching the operation of the Chronometric gauges though. First bike I own with those. Took some nice outdoor shots with a slightly nicer background after the ride.

101 - 114 of 114 Posts