Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Last night, I was able to spend some time in the garage and got the tank built and installed on the bike. Installing those little chrome strips that go behind the knee pads and badges was kind of a pain, but so pretty when it was done and on the bike. Starting to look like a bike now again.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
One question on the tank mounting though. Where does this go? The parts manual shows it has something to do with the tank, but doesn't really show where or how it goes.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
From the parts book...

Also, note the "kink" in the left pipe, yours doesn't have that bend.

Do they have the tabs to accept the brackets that secure them to the frame at the front engine mounts? Otherwise, you're going to have them cracking and/or messing up the head connection from vibration...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
the headers that are on my bike are only my test and tune headers. I use them to tune the carbs in so that I don't immediately blue my brand new headers. So yes, I have the correct headers in a box waiting to go on the bike after I am sure it is running well and in tune. I don't quite follow you on where that donut goes though?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
12,722 Posts
Ah, yes, I think you mentioned the "test' headers before.

Isn't there a "tail" tab with a hole in it, at the back of the tank? (under the nose of the seat) Rubber donut would go between that tab, and the hole in the top of the frame that the bolt screws into...

By the way, your gas tank looks SMASHING!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
So, there is a hole in the frame where a rubber mushroom type bumper goes that the rear of the tank sits on. Then there are 2 tabs that the stainless steel hold strap goes between and a bolt goes through those tabs horizontally and the stainless steel strap to secure the tank. So I don't see where that donut would fit. I'll try and take a pic later.

Thanks,
Rob

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. It is pretty. Love those colors.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So here's a pic of the tail end of the tank. You can kind of make out where the rubber stopper sites in the hole in the frame under the tank and you can see where the stainless strap bolts to the frame. So where does this donut thing go? Also, I know I have the wrong bolt holding the strap down, it is on order and should be coming this week with the rest of the parts to finish her up. The only thing left I need to get are the gauges.

Thanks again for the help.
Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
No its not. Here is a pic of the frame before the tank was put on. The one circle shows the mushroom like bumper goes. It is a large circular area with a hole in the middle for the rubber mushroom to sit in. That is what you are seeing, and then the 2nd smaller circle is where the bolt for the tank hold down strap goes.

Number 33 is the rubber mushroom I referred to above. There are three of them. Two go in the front and one in the middle of the back as you saw in my picture. Unfortunately, the parts diagram doesn't really show where the donut (item #34) goes. That's what I need to know.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
464 Posts
This link shows 82-4770 next to a frame strut, items 33 & 34. The rubber appears to be slit so presumably it fits over the strut and both fit in the tank tunnel....but your frame doesn't appear to have the strut. 82-4862 gets a mention in this thread, 3ta desert sled, from memory the standard fuel tank is braced internally so the strut (and rubber?) isn't needed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hey Rusty, that is a later tank setup as it gets bolted down in the front. The 1962 Pre-Unit does not get bolted down and is totally different than that. But still has this stupid donut and I can't figure out where it goes.

GrandPaulZ - thanks. I have no clue either. I don't even see why or where it would be needed.

Thanks,
Rob

·
7,053 Posts
Hi Rob,

that is a later tank setup as it gets bolted down in the front.
Mmmm ... but, if you scroll down the link Rusty posted, the "donut" is the same part.

Unfortunately, your image in your post #82 doesn't give any indication of size; however, Googling "triumph 82-4770", the returned images are of a different part, more like as drawn in both your and Rusty's parts book images.

I don't even see why or where it would be needed.
82-4770 precludes the possibility of the tank moving laterally to where something can vibrate against something it shouldn't. So 82-4770's OD is tank tunnel ID, the hole in the middle is frame tube OD. Position as required on the frame tube; I'd be inclined to use more than the one listed in the parts book.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
More progress made last night. Got the fuel lines half way run. Damn petcocks that I bought, which are the correct part numbers for this bike, of course don't fit. Seems like I am always buying parts at least twice for this bike. This had been the most frustrating bike I have restored in my 25 years of doing this when it comes to getting correct parts. Also installed the seat, which was also a pain in the butt and took way to long, because of course it didn't fit right either and I had to keep making adjustments to get it to fit on the bike. Just venting a little bit guys. Also, even though it isn't in these pictures, I installed the correct center stand so that the rear tire isn't so high off the ground.

Bike does look really good now that it looks like a complete motorcycle. Once, I get the petcock situation sorted out, I can start it again, tune the carbs, and then swap on my new exhaust system and hopefully she will be done.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
No its not. Here is a pic of the frame before the tank was put on. The one circle shows the mushroom like bumper goes. It is a large circular area with a hole in the middle for the rubber mushroom to sit in. That is what you are seeing, and then the 2nd smaller circle is where the bolt for the tank hold down strap goes.

View attachment 725705

View attachment 725706

Number 33 is the rubber mushroom I referred to above. There are three of them. Two go in the front and one in the middle of the back as you saw in my picture. Unfortunately, the parts diagram doesn't really show where the donut (item #34) goes. That's what I need to know.

Thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob. That part No. 34 is just a steady rubber for the tank to sit against. It only good use is to stop scratching the tank during fitting. The bike is looking very good i must say.

I notice you haven't put the pedestrian slicer on yet. Are you leaving this off?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Hi 57t'bird. So then it won't be a big deal if that part isn't installed. Maybe next time I have the tank off (hopefully never), I'll slip it in there. Thanks for the compliment on the bike. Here in the US, pedestrian slicers didn't come on the bikes, so I will not be installing one. Honestly, I never cared for the looks of them anyway. I have one on my 1955 Royal Enfield, and I wish I had not installed it. Can't really remove it, because that would just leave some empty holes.

Thanks,
Rob

81 - 100 of 114 Posts