Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well guys, yesterday was to be the day. The day I started her up for the first time. Needless to say, it didn't go well. Trying to kick the start her for the first time since I started this restoration, she would backfire through the carb. Recheck my valve clearances, and they were good. I think I have a timing issue. This is the first bike I've done with a magneto and I am guessing I must have gotten wrong. Any tricks or tips would be
Hi Rob. The top lead on the magneto goes to the right (timing) side spark plug. Is this what you have? I can talk you through the engine, cams and magneto timing if you need to.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi 57 t'bird. Yes that is how I have it set up. I am sure that engine & cam timing are correct. That was easy. I am pretty sure I messed up the magneto timing. Thanks for the offer, I would appreciate the help.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ok. Progress being made. Sorry it has been taking awhile getting stuff done, but in addition to this 1962 Bonnie that I am restoring, I am also working on a 1942 Harley WLA that I am bringing back to life. Anyway, last night, I took the timing cover off and went through the timing steps again, and sure enough, the timing was way off. Not sure what happened, but it was. So, I refound TDC and then 39 degrees BTDC. Set the points to just about ready to open. I am not happy with the auto advance spring weight return springs, so I am going to try to find a set of new ones if possible. Also, need another timing cover gasket, as this one ripped apart while taking cover off. So, I haven't been able to start it yet, but I am sure I found my problem and as soon as the gasket comes, I will button her back up and see if she wants to start.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yes, I know that. I was talking about the ignition timing. Sorry, it was a carry over from my previous post and I assumed everyone would remember that I was questioning my ignition timing.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Understood, but they were correct when i assembled the engine. That wasn't my problem. I screwed up my magneto timing. Easy enough to fix though.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
LOL. I hear ya. I am not a patient person in the least. However, the bike is far from ready to go for a ride. I still need to install the gas tank, seat, gauges, the new exhaust system, etc. I have an old set of headers on the bike I use for tuning, so that I can get the carbs dialed in first and not blue my new headers right away. I also use an auxiliary tank to run the bike so that I don't risk any damage to my freshly painted gas tank. If all goes well, it should be able to go for it's first ride in just a couple weeks. Can't wait to get her on the road. I love riding my British bikes, I think they are some of the best bikes to ride.

Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well, my lack of patience got a hold of me over the weekend, and I reinstalled the timing cover with the torn up gasket temporarily so that I could try to start the bike. I hooked up my auxiliary gas tank, tickled the carbs and lo and behold, kicked her twice and she spit at me. Kicked her again and she fired up and ran. For the first time in decades. It was awesome. Starting a restoration for the first time is always so rewarding. Now, I just need to get my new gasket for the timing cover and button that back up. Then install my gas tank, seat, gauges, and new exhaust and she will be finished. WOOHOO!

I took a video of me starting her a second time to check for oil flow and such, I'll see if I can post it.

Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL. I hear ya. I am not a patient person in the least. However, the bike is far from ready to go for a ride. I still need to install the gas tank, seat, gauges, the new exhaust system, etc. I have an old set of headers on the bike I use for tuning, so that I can get the carbs dialed in first and not blue my new headers right away. I also use an auxiliary tank to run the bike so that I don't risk any damage to my freshly painted gas tank. If all goes well, it should be able to go for it's first ride in just a couple weeks. Can't wait to get her on the road. I love riding my British bikes, I think they are some of the best bikes to ride.

Rob
Hi Rob. Magneto contact point gap .012" (.3mm). Check and adjust this at middle of high cam. Fully advance the crankshaft to 37 deg B.T.C 3/8" (9.5mm) piston b.t.c using a timing stick with markings at t.d.c and 3/8" b.t.c. The magneto auto advance securing nut needs to be unscrewed and the gear needs to be withdrawn from the shaft. With plugs out and watching the drive side valves. When the L.H (drive side) Inlet closes continue rotating until the piston reaches t.d.c. then reverse the rotation so the piston is about 1" b.t.c and bring backup to 3/8" b.t.c - this eliminates gear backlash. Rotate the contact breaker until the points are in the upper position and just breaking (use of a multimeter pinpoints exactly when opening) Re-install the magneto fibre gear to fit with the inlet cam gear. Fit the auto advance holding the unit in the fully advanced position and tighten the securing nut.
Check the points are clean, the armature earth brush under the screw next to the identification plate is good and the springs in the advance unit are not loose or over tight. Nearest lead to engine is R.H cylinder. Let me know how you go or if you need any further info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Also, I would like to find an original triumph tank bag (if that's what they called them back then) to put on the parcel grid on my tank. I've seen them at shows over the years, but never found one for sale anywhere. Anyone have one that they would like to sell or know where I can get one?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hi Rob. Magneto contact point gap .012" (.3mm). Check and adjust this at middle of high cam. Fully advance the crankshaft to 37 deg B.T.C 3/8" (9.5mm) piston b.t.c using a timing stick with markings at t.d.c and 3/8" b.t.c. The magneto auto advance securing nut needs to be unscrewed and the gear needs to be withdrawn from the shaft. With plugs out and watching the drive side valves. When the L.H (drive side) Inlet closes continue rotating until the piston reaches t.d.c. then reverse the rotation so the piston is about 1" b.t.c and bring backup to 3/8" b.t.c - this eliminates gear backlash. Rotate the contact breaker until the points are in the upper position and just breaking (use of a multimeter pinpoints exactly when opening) Re-install the magneto fibre gear to fit with the inlet cam gear. Fit the auto advance holding the unit in the fully advanced position and tighten the securing nut.
Check the points are clean, the armature earth brush under the screw next to the identification plate is good and the springs in the advance unit are not loose or over tight. Nearest lead to engine is R.H cylinder. Let me know how you go or if you need any further info.

Thanks 57t'bird. That's how I ended up doing it yesterday, however, my triumph manual says to use 39 degrees BTDC (11mm on the timing stick) so that is what I used.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, my lack of patience got a hold of me over the weekend, and I reinstalled the timing cover with the torn up gasket temporarily so that I could try to start the bike. I hooked up my auxiliary gas tank, tickled the carbs and lo and behold, kicked her twice and she spit at me. Kicked her again and she fired up and ran. For the first time in decades. It was awesome. Starting a restoration for the first time is always so rewarding.
Having got 3 bikes running in the past year, I totally agree! Magic, isn't it. You put all that work in, you think it through, you check it all, and it works! Huge confidence booster!

Well done Rob.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yea GrandPaulZ. Getting that auto advance mechanism off is a royal pain. It does not just self extract like the book says. At least mine doesn't. Took me about an hour to get it off. Gently prying on the bolt head and turning and trying half a dozen different things, then it finally popped off. It should be back on the road real soon now. I will continue to post pics and then I will show the before and after shots. It's been an amazing transformation. It's going to look great next to all my other bikes. I was checking out your Triumph that you have for sale, I would love to have that one as well if I lived closer.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks 57t'bird. That's how I ended up doing it yesterday, however, my triumph manual says to use 39 degrees BTDC (11mm on the timing stick) so that is what I used.

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob. Depending on what cams you have you can go up to 42 degrees b.t.c which is used for racing these old timers. Do post a video of the old girl running. There once was a tool for pulling the auto advances off but i haven't seen one for decades now. Good on you for your patience. Cheers 57Tbird.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I tried to post a video of its first start up, but it won't allow me to. How can I post my video? Tells me that my format is not allowed.

Thanks,
Rob

P.S. Here is that gas tank getting ready to go on finally. A little teaser photo for everyone.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Also, can you buy pre-made fuel lines with the ferrules and such on them already? I can for my 1968 Bonneville, but I can't seem to find any for this 1962 Bonnie. Or do I have to buy the ferrules and tool and make them myself?

Thanks,
Rob

61 - 80 of 114 Posts