Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yea, that's not causing the problem. I checked all that out and it only does that because the cables are brand new and bent/broken in yet. And there is no binding either. But thanks for the suggestion. I will try to get you a pic like you asked also, but I have looked at lots of pics online and all the 1962's that I find have that same 90 degree bend.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I will try to get you a pic like you asked also, but I have looked at lots of pics online and all the 1962's that I find have that same 90 degree bend.
I thought it might be that too especially when it’s not shown with the twist grip in the ‘1960 Thru 1962 Triumph Twin’ parts book at the below link;
British Only Tech Library
But the 90 degree bend is shown as part of the throttle cable on page 72 so that looks correct.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Good news on some progress for the 1962 Bonnie. Finished up some wiring, hooked up a test 6 volt battery and........everything works. Headlight lights, DIP switch works, Light switch works, taillight and brake light work (Still have to mount rear brake light switch), horn makes noise (LOL, its pretty lame but it is original and very old).

I was very happy to see all of this come on and work. Still need to wire in a fuse and the pilot lamp but no big deal there.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with these damn throttle cables, I'd be ready to start her up for the first time and then button her up.

Thanks for the help,

Rob

·
Registered
272 Posts
There should be an adjustment screw on the back of the horn - maybe with a locknut? Try turning the screw one way or the other. Too far and the horn stops working, but you can change the tone/loudness with that screw. The horn on my Daytona didn't work at all when it came in one of a number of crates (aka baskets) last year and I thought it was deceased. But I cleaned it up, wired it up and tweaked the screw, and hey presto - it works!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Made a little more progress yesterday. Got the headlight fitted up and after a lot of swearing....got the battery box fit up. That was a royal pain in the butt to get fit in there. There is almost no clearance between it, the frame, chain guard and rear fender. What should have took minutes, took hours. But it's in and the bike is starting to look finished. Still can't figure out why I'm having issues with the throttle cables. Have done this numerous times on other bikes without issue. However, it seems like pre-unit parts are much more iffy than unit parts. So I started modifying the throttle cables to hopefully make them work. Hopefully you enjoy todays photos.

Rob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Does anyone know where I can find an Owners manual for my 1962 Bonneville?

Thanks,
Rob

·
6,659 Posts
Hi Rob,

Owners manual for my 1962 Bonneville?
If you mean the small, thin, what Triumph called "Owner's Handbooks", afaik there wasn't a separate one? The Triumph Workshop Instruction Manual 1956 [to] 1962, up to page 30 plus the "Recommended Lubricants" page and wiring diagram are pretty-much what are in '63-on Owner's Handbooks? Certainly Andover Norton - that owns what started out as J.R. Technical Publications, that took on all the Meriden publications when the Co-op's assets were sold off - doesn't list separate Owner's Handbooks before '63 - TRIUMPH 650 & 750 TWINS HANDBOOKS?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok, question of the week. What battery are you pre-unit guys using. I don't want to use a lead-acid battery and it has to fit in the stock location inside the battery box. I am looking at some of those 6volt alarm system type batteries or something. 1962 Triumph Bonneville.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
62 Bonnie update. Modified the throttle cables so that I now have enough free length that they work. Synched the carbs statically, installed an inline fuse holder on the ground side of the wiring harness (positive side of the battery), and buttoned up a few other little odds and ends. So work is progressing and I am almost ready to start her up and see if she will run. I still need help with what battery I should use.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
12,593 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Does anyone know where I can get a really good original oil tank or a quality aftermarket oil tank for my 1962 Bonneville? I have been looking everywhere I can think of and can't find one. Also, how were they mounted? I looked at an all original 61 Bonnie, and the oil tank was all rubber mounted, but the parts manual does not show it being rubber mounted.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
No one knows where I can get an Oil Tank? I noticed on Ebay there are some reproduction ones made in India. I am going to try one of them to see what kind of quality it is when I get it. A friend of mine bought a gas tank from India for a 250 Ducati project that he is working on and it was amazingly good. So I will give that a try if no one has any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Rob

41 - 56 of 56 Posts