Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the front forks rebuilt with new seals and bushes etc.

Oil is leaking from around the bolts/screws in the front wheel spindle recesses of the lower forks; the bolts secures the oil restrictor rod assemblies. Between the bolts/screws is supposedly an alluminium washer which I would like to replace in the hope it will stop the oil leak.

If I remove the bolts will it be possible to screw them back into the restrictor rod assembly or is the assembly likely to move once the bolts are removed? If they are likely to move I would rather not attempt a repair as I do not have the special tools needed to strip down and rebuild the complete fork legs.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Big job, very big. Think how you going to replace the oil??? Which is normally filled from the top before replacing the stanchion nuts. If you remove the bolts the restrictor rod being under pressure most properly won't move, then you will have to clean in the recess where the fibre or aluminium washer goes. I have found that there is sometimes another old washer still stuck in the hole causing the leak. You can fill the legs with oil from the bottom draining holes with a syringe that is big enough to hold the right quantity of oil with the right size nipple, but is messy. You can use a little of gasket glue on the end of the threads to get a good seal when replacing the bolts. Make sure the area is dry and very clean before replacing the fibre washer and that it is not bigger that the hole it goes into and that it will seat properly before replacing the bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I would first drain the oil out of whichever fork leg you need to work on.Its easy enough to refill the oil later,and if its been leaking it will need oil.Do not remove the top staunchion nut until the resealing job is done and you need to refill;it will help hold the damper in place.
After you drain the fork leg,replace the drain screw.It stops the damper rotating when you undo or tighten the bottom bolt.

Remove the wheel and undo the damper bolt and re-seal it.
After you have it back together and the wheel back in,then undo the top staunchion nuts to re-fill the oil.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mr Pete,

will do as you suggest

bit confused by bushybester's reply but thanks for input

1 - 4 of 4 Posts