Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the midst of a cosmetic restoration on a 1956 Triumph TRW with 1700 miles on the clock. This military 500cc sidevalve 2-cylinder engine is very low compression and will be used very little. My first inclination is to go synthetic (even my lawn mower and generator have Mobil 1 in them)but I understand that the seals in the old girl just will not handle the newer oil. Does anyone have any suggestions for oil for this old girl? The manual calls for MIL-O-2104 AM.1 (G030) Believe me, I have no idea what that means.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
20W/50 multigrade.

You'll probably have no particular problem with synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1.

Are there even any oil seals in a TRW engine?

·
Registered
330 Posts
..why not go with one of the 'classic' oils available?

·
Registered
330 Posts
..where abouts are you? These oils are available almost everywhere in the UK...Morris,Castrol even Putoline I think.I use Comma 40.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I guess on a Triumph-specific forum like this, I was expecting some level of authority and knowledge on the older pre-unit bikes. Looks like I was wrong.

You've asked on a public forum. Anyone can answer.

The grade of oil you want is 20W/50 multigrade, even though they didn't make it 60 years ago. 15W/50 works ok too.

You don't want the cheapest no-spec supermarket bargain oil- it doesn't like hot, air cooled engines.

You don't need the dearest synthetic, although synthetic does appear to reduce wear.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I would go for 20/50 multi weight also. Down here in the U.S. once I take delivery of my Triumph, I plan to use Castrol GTX High Mileage oil. Though not synthetic, it's a semi-synthetic oil. Otherwise use an oil having a zinc additive for added lubricity like a 4 cycle "motorcycle oil".

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I would go for 20/50 multi weight also. Down here in the U.S. once I take delivery of my Triumph, I plan to use Castrol GTX High Mileage oil. Though not synthetic, it's a semi-synthetic oil. Otherwise use an oil having a zinc additive for added lubricity like a 4 cycle "motorcycle oil".
The people who reckoned insufficient "zinc" damaged their engines had lumpy camshafts and racing valve springs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts