Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm stripping a 1955 Tiger 500, and have the crankcases split. Inside the timing side case there's an oil pipe secured with a screw that runs from below the gauze filter and feeds the pump.
I've removed the screw, and the pipe will move a little, but where the pipe runs into the back of the oil pump mounting it isn't showing any sign of coming out.

Is there some trick to get this to lift out, or is it just wiggling it and putting a bit of gentle outward pressure?

I'd like to get it to pieces as far as possible before getting the cases vapour blasted.

Lee

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Brizz, the tube is a tolerance fit in the hole. Assuming you have to remove the tube, Heat case from opposite (Timing side) side, grip top of tube where it goes into case hole with blunt moles and use slide hammer action on moles. Replace same way, ensure tube is good fit and follows tight to case as original, only a couple of mm clearance, and crank will flex! use new screw and securing bracket with Loctite. Check tube & seal under 5Ib pressure when secure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Brizz, the tube is a tolerance fit in the hole. Assuming you have to remove the tube, Heat case from opposite (Timing side) side, grip top of tube where it goes into case hole with blunt moles and use slide hammer action on moles. Replace same way, ensure tube is good fit and follows tight to case as original, only a couple of mm clearance, and crank will flex! use new screw and securing bracket with Loctite. Check tube & seal under 5Ib pressure when secure.
Thanks Freakmaster - very helpful

One question - I'm not sure what you mean by 'seal under 5lb pressure'?

Lee

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Freakmaster - very helpful

One question - I'm not sure what you mean by 'seal under 5lb pressure'?

Lee
Plug the tube at the pump end without any damage to the tube or case, I lightly clamp the pump on over a bit of rubber, but tape is OK, use a tire inflator with a gauge, on the other end, pressure to 3-5 Ib. If your deaf like me, use a bit of soapy water, No air leak should be evident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts