Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm thinking about buying this triumph i saw at a local dealer.

I need some help identifying year, make, model, anything that looks out of the ordinary etc.

Here is the link to my photobucket album
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/meehals/triumph/

Frame number:
Engine number:
5T 48045

I'm also curious to know whats the going rate for one of these? It has a club rego sticker from 1990, not sure if that changes the price though.

It doesn't run at the moment and has an oil pan collecting a nice puddle of oil.

I live in Australia, is it hard to source parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

It doesn't run at the moment it was sitting in a restaurant for decoration, it hasn't been running since roughly 1990.

Started googling 1954 speedtwin they all seem to have the single spring seat and look more swept back? Or can you tell from the frame / engine numbers?

It looks more like this?
http://www.classicbikes.biz/assets/posters/triumph%20tiger%20T110.jpg

Going by the numbers it doesn't have the original engine? I think i read on one of the others posts that it should have matching numbers if its got the original engine?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
cool bike man,
my grandpa before shovin the tiger into my garage for me to work on, was modeling it after a speed twin.. he found the same-ish color that this one is painted, and painted my tiger that way.
i wish i had a couple of those parts to finish mine off ;) hahah.
sorry for this being a completely un-informational post... but wanted to say sweet lookin bike.
-kenny

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is anomalous ... that is clearly a '54 5T engine. That's a pre-unit 500. The frame number seems like it may be off, but I can't be certain ... double-check it carefully.

The oddity is that a '54 5T is a rigid bike. That is clearly a swingarm frame in its stock (or stock-type) fashion including oil tank, air box, battery cover, seat, etc ... My guess is that it's a '57 frame. (the number *could* be a '57)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that, i'll go back and double check it. I got the number off the left hand side near the light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've doubled checked the frame number it appears to be 01959 it has been painted over at some stage so it makes it a bit hard to read.

Lets say it is a 54 5T engine with a 57 frame, the engine hasn't been started or used, it does turn over.

The dealer is asking AUD 6500.00 which i think is a bit much considering the condition its in and its not matching numbers? Does this sound about right, i'm not entirely sure.

I was planning to buy it and restore it to ride.

Also before buying it is there anything else i should look out for? Frame condition? electrics? any common 50's triumph faults?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
625 Posts
$5K for a bitsa preunit ... complete bike at that ... 50s frame, alternator setup, magneto, looks like pretty much everything .... I don't know how plentiful complete mid-50s Triumphs are over there ...

Really, though ... is it worth that much TO YOU?? That's the only thing that matters ... and ... as a rule, asking prices are to be negotiated ... usually, cash speaks volumes ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i like it, its here and i haven't seen many / any 50's triumphs here. I've seen 1 come up on ebay but i prefer this style tank.

and i like the idea of rebuilding it....but i don't want to pay that much.

i'll see how much i can get it for and go from there. thanks for the info / advice everyone.

if i go ahead with it i'll let you know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
hi mate $6500 is a bit high for what it is ,,,that bike will cost you $800 for rego and then the cost to get it going ,,,, and then 2 tyers and tubes and the list go,s on and on ,,, you will have no problems getting parts for it here in australia ... if i was you i wood keep looking .....or offer them $ 4000 as thats all its worth here in sydney..... for $6500 you can pick up a nice running pre unit ,,,,, im allso looking for another triumph unit about 1968 or 1969,,,i see and hear a lot about preunits but not what im after,,,,if you need some leads and some help looking for a preunit let me know and ill try to point you in the right direction...,,albert the tiprat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been following this thread with some interest, This is altogether a nice looking little bike that some one has obviously put some work into i don't see where it needs to be redone or rerestored, a few bits that are not standard most noteably the seat which looks like a rigid frame seat. 54 was the year that triumph introduced the swing arm frame but not sure if it was used across the entire model line. Flush the tank, clean the carb and check out the distributor and i would not be suprized if it fired right up. A bike like this is worth what ever some is willing to give for it. gearhead

1 - 13 of 13 Posts