Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the midst of a long tour on my 2006 T 100. (West to East and back USA)
I am about 5,500 miles into it and will need to replace my chain and sprockets in another few thousand miles (25,000)

The current set up is a little tall for my loaded bike on a hill start.
I was thinking about going to a 19 tooth front cog.

Do these 19 tooth cogs fit easily to the bike (in terms of clearance)or do I need to do I need to cut chunks of the bike away?

Cheers Morthwyl.

·
Registered
306 Posts
too tall now?

If you are having trouble taking off now and feel that your bike is geared too tall you might want to count the teeth to make sure that you are not going taller. It sounds like you might already have a 19 tooth and probably want to go down on the teeth instead of up.

Pops

·
Registered
10,845 Posts
Yes, if it's too "tall", you need fewer teeth in front, not more. Consider a 17-tooth, which was standard on some earlier models like mine.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
If you're going to change the front sprocket, you have to change the chain and rear sprocket at the same time right? I've done 30K and was looking at going to an 18t. Just wanted to be sure that the with that level of wear you have to change the lot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where can I get more information on 'tall' and the benefits of replacing sprockets with more or less teeth?

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Just try a search here on gear ratios or sprocket choice and I'm sure there will be at least a few threads or try the mods forum too.
Generally speaking, "tall" gearing is a low final drive ratio intended for higher speed at a given rpm compared to standard. Divide tooth count of front sprocket into tooth count of rear sprocket to get final drive ratio. Eg: 43/18= 2.39, increasing the size of the rear or decreasing the size of the front will give you a higher ratio but "shorter" gearing. Eg: 45/18= 2.5 meaning the second ratio will put the engine at a higher rpm for any given speed than the first.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I was delighted to find that the standard ratio sprocket kit from Triumph to be cheaper than sourcing all the various bits separately. $220+tax for my '05 Bonnie vs $235+shipping after market.

Also, it seems, most dealers have them in stock. But not with 19tooth fronts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are having trouble taking off now and feel that your bike is geared too tall you might want to count the teeth to make sure that you are not going taller. It sounds like you might already have a 19 tooth and probably want to go down on the teeth instead of up.

Pops
That sounds better! I don't know where my brain was.
I was in your neck of the woods recently and have to return in a couple of months... pretty country.

thank you.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was in your neck of the woods recently and have to return in a couple of months... pretty country.
QUOTE]

Yeah I am a Kentucky boy orginally but have been here almost 20 years and it is home now. If you get a chance to come here to ride I would recommend Oct as the best time. The spring is very nice too but the weather varies year to year. Just outside Nashville to the east from top to bottom you have tons of nice riding roads with all different types of things to see. It is nice to the west too but flattens out a bit the further you go. We are into the miserable season now and the temps and humidity are like those in the deep south and TX. Upper 90's for temps with high humidity and pop up thunderstorms possible at any time. We are unusually cold today, it is only in the upper 80's. :D

Pops

1 - 10 of 10 Posts