Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, have to wait another week to install my 19T - somewhere around 2015 or so they changed the sprocket and chains on the America from a 525 to a 520, so the one from my dealer didn't fit ... *sigh* - got one ordered, should be here in about a week ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, have to wait another week to install my 19T - somewhere around 2015 or so they changed the sprocket and chains on the America from a 525 to a 520, so the one from my dealer didn't fit ... *sigh* - got one ordered, should be here in about a week ...
Mine is a '15, I would have to look at production date at home but it has a 525 still.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you get the new sprocket to suit the 520 chain could you let the forum know where they sourced it from, I have had no luck at this stage at finding one, have got a 19 tooth 525 sprocket,will probably get new chain & rear sprocket when the 520 set up wears out. Thanking you John.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When you get the new sprocket to suit the 520 chain could you let the forum know where they sourced it from, I have had no luck at this stage at finding one, have got a 19 tooth 525 sprocket,will probably get new chain & rear sprocket when the 520 set up wears out. Thanking you John.
I bought mine from SprocketCenter; it is a Superlite brand, part #88801R

http://sprocketcenter.com/superlite-520-conversion-drilled-lightened-steel-front-race-sprocket-triumph.html

Fit like a champ - installed it on Friday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No luck with TPP,thanks Finlay13,The Road Virus, thank you will be ordering one ,as others have said it lowers the revs when cruising,your experience so far, also I have my wife as a pillion sometimes,would it effect me getting going with taller gearing.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No luck with TPP,thanks Finlay13,The Road Virus, thank you will be ordering one ,as others have said it lowers the revs when cruising,your experience so far, also I have my wife as a pillion sometimes,would it effect me getting going with taller gearing.
Cutfinger - hate to admit it, but I just installed the sprocket over the weekend and haven't got to take the bike on a shakedown cruise .... I'm hoping that this upcoming weekend is a motorcycle road trip so that:

A - I can regain some much-needed sanity!

B - I can report on the results from installing the 19T sprocket

Wish me luck with work, wife, and weather ... if everything gels I'll have a report this time next week!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well - 5 months later and I have some information *finally*

The 19 tooth seems to have zero effect on normal riding, acceleration and ability to hold speed - the speedometer is finally dead on accurate according to the GPS, throughought all normal riding speeds.

Happy with the mod and glad I finally was able to get out - life's been crazy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
17T on the 06 Speedy

I have been running a 17T on the Speedy for the past two years. Makes acceleartion and mountains much, much better, and two up or tourinng it's a no brainer if you are doing anything else but flat. It would still cruise at 80mph all day if needed, but Im'm a 65mph kind of person so it is perfect. Yes it will still fly over 100mph if for some reason it was needed. I would only change it if I was living or visiting somewhere that was pretty flat, perhaps up to the 19T in Holland :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
accurate speedo

"The 19 tooth seems to have zero effect on normal riding, acceleration and ability to hold speed - the speedometer is finally dead on accurate according to the GPS, throughought all normal riding speeds."

Why am I thinking that a speedo driven off the front tire should not be affected (accuracy wise) by changing gear ratios between the engine and driven wheel ????

·
Registered
80 Posts
"The 19 tooth seems to have zero effect on normal riding, acceleration and ability to hold speed - the speedometer is finally dead on accurate according to the GPS, throughought all normal riding speeds."

Why am I thinking that a speedo driven off the front tire should not be affected (accuracy wise) by changing gear ratios between the engine and driven wheel ????
Unclescratch- you are thinking entirely correct for a bike that has the speedo driven off of the front wheel. The later bikes (somewhere around 2011? Not sure of the year) went to an electronic speedometer that interprets bike speed based on the rpm of the transmission output shaft using a magnetic sensor ... so changing the final gearing also affects the speedo.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts