Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short I went for a ride all day with a group and when I was cleaning it up I noticed the left side upper mount to frame bolt was totally gone... contacted dealer with picks and got them to agree to send me replacement bolt, washer and apparently some sleeve all had to come from UK several weeks later.

Meantime I just torqued a random bolt I had laying around and checked the other 3 mounts.

Problem is I get the bolt and I'm not convinced it's right as in I think it's different left to right and I think they sent me right side bolts... Anyone familiar? The diagram they sent was the right side...

On top of that I asked if I should use loctite and they agreed I should but checking the other side I found copper anti-seize all over the threads...

Any suggestions welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
Seems LH is m12*40 and RH is m12*60 but looks like type of bolt also depends on the VIN.
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596202/speed-triple-r-to-vin-735336/main-frame-fittings
May need to double-check as they are not showing an RS on this site.
The extra 20mm may not be important so long as the sleeve section is the same.
Should really go by the service manual regarding loctite, Also if it's similar to the Daytona there is a tightening sequence to follow.
Personally I would go with loctite especially as you've already lost one and they are not bolts you'll be pulling out all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small update: after emailing them they sent me pics off another bike. They also said that due to the disimilar metals anti-seize would be wise. So the parts guy gave me the wrong bolt and advice. I'm glad I pay attention...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thats not re-assuring.... I finally got the replacement bolt and installed it a day or so ago. Threw some loctite blue on it for good measure... 2 bikes is enough for me to be concerned. I'm around 4200 miles if it matters.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just checked the 4 bolts on my ‘16 with 13000mi and the top 2 bolts were tight and wouldn’t allow any further tightening without extra hard force, however the lower 2 bolts did allow for very little tightening (<1mm)
I feel that I probably wouldn’t have had any bolts come undone, but it’s worth to check regardless imho.
The torx key needed to adjust these bolts (T55) is so large that will probably won’t come in most torx sets, I happen to own it when I purchased the individual socket to fit a Rizoma frame sliders set on my old ‘10 I do remember it was like $10-15.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Interesting. I was going to order some of those bolts for an earlier model 1050 for no other reason than I think they look nice.

And if the chance of seizing because of dissimilar metal is so high how come they fell out? Eh, come on, how come huh, how come? :smile2:

A bit of Loctite will do just fine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'm at 2500mi on my 19 RS and all bolts are still accounted for.

I run mine pretty hard at track days, for what its worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts