Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to fit an 18T trans. sprocket to my TBS, and I need to know which other little seals etc. will be needed, and also I need some tips on remove/replace of the clutch slave assembly. What all is involved, especially regarding the clutch slave mechanism? Thanks in advance! Gord

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
Slave cylinder is easy, just remove 3 screws and pull off. Some say to secure the piston in the bore with a cable tie to stop it popping out, but I never have.

You will need a paper gasket, and should replace the oil seal behind the gear lever while you are in there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Try to keep your bike as upright as possible. Or lean it to the right a bit if you can. This will minimise the amount of oil draining out.
I replaced the gear lever oil seal and the needle bearing. No need to replace the needle bearing really, but it was cheap.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just drained the oil. You will need to replace the cover half gasket. You should also replace the clutch pushrod gasket and the shifter gasket. Just did the same change on my '99 Legend last week.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just drained the oil. You will need to replace the cover half gasket. You should also replace the clutch pushrod gasket and the shifter gasket. Just did the same change on my '99 Legend last week.
I didn't replace the clutch pushrod seal. I just put some grease on the pushrod where it enters the seal and also on the end of the pushrod.
I think the manual does say to replace the seal.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy has owned his 2000 TBS from new, and is discouraging me from doing this, but I want the longer legs and relaxed r's in top gear. I'll try to keep the original seals and keep it simple. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts