Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've noticed alot of you have modified the spront sprocket from a 19T to a 18T. While I booked in my next service I asked them to change the front sprocket as well. After he had looked to see if they had any in stock, he ended up telling me they don't make them for the 07 model.

Is this correct? :(

P.S. I searched the forum, but couldn't tell which models this mod aplies to.

Thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
To my knowledge, the 07 should be the same as the 05 and 06. Mine is an aftermarket, I don't remember the brand.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
17t

You should find that the pre 02 ST had a 17T as standard, but be aware that on your 05+ ST the speedo sensor is on the output shaft of your gearbox, so changing the gear will make your speedo read wrong, unlike the pre 04 st where the speedo sensor was a magnet ring on the front wheel

Rexx

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
happyhippy, lets hope that this is an isolated incident and not a preview because that counterman was wrong. As previous posters said, an 18T sprocket is available from Triumph and several aftermarket vendors.

The receipt for my Triumph 18T indicates:

Part Number T1180177 Sprocket,G/Box (18T)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
+1 The parts person is incorrect.

My 99 ST came with an 18t standard front sprocket and I changed it to a 17t.

I have an 18t on my 05 ST and I'm wanting to go to 18/44 at the next change, but a 44 tooth rear sprocket seems to be a bit of a rarity.

Brett.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
BTW an 18 from a older Thunderbird will work fine also. That's what mine is.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The easiest thing you can do is order an 18T off of a Speed Triple 05+. The issue with that is they price a 10 dollar sprocket up around the 60 dollar mark.

I ordered an aftermarket one and the dealer did if for me. I beleive it was a JT. It worked great.

·
Registered
929 Posts
personally I think its a great mod.
there's a bit of discussion related to it if you poke around...

if your big on touring some guys say stay with the 19. I won't go back to it. I'm even thinking 17 after talking to jeffro.

its funny this 18t mod doesn't feel like that big of a difference out of the gate, but over a bit of time (a couple of days) you just seem notice it more.

the bike feels more hooligan and supports that type of riding style. it seems to go hand in hand with my tridents.

the wheel will come up way easier in first. I have even had it come up in 2nd just on acceleration alone. :) (see my signature below for a demonstration hehe )

it is by no means a drastic change. top end I still hit a 165mph (-5% for speedo difference) I dont spend alot of time at those speeds and it was an all time high speed for me. (it still had more I just ran out of road)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The reason why you cant find a 18T front sprocket for your 07 is because your Sprint doesnt come with one. SO if you walk up to a counter and say i want a front sprocket for my Sprint but I want the 18t one they will say I have no listing.

That is why we have recommended models that come with a 18T that work.

I think it is a pretty good mod as well. I didnt think the results where noticable right away but after a few corners and a few harder stop and starts you really do notice the difference. Coming out of the corners at the track was a huge rush.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts