Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a pair of fresh rubber for my 2006 Sprint.
As you can see the rear tire size is different then the one recommended by Triumph.

Any thoughts?

TIA

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The 180 will turn in better, and the 190 might conceivably rub something from time to time, but the difference is really pretty minimal. The 180/55 is 180mm wide by 99mm tall; the 190/50 is 190mm wide by 95mm tall.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
945 Posts
180x55. The 190 looks cool but will detract from turn in and overall handling.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
The 180 will turn in better, and the 190 might conceivably rub something from time to time, but the difference is really pretty minimal. The 180/55 is 180mm wide by 99mm tall; the 190/50 is 190mm wide by 95mm tall.

Cheers,
-Kit
I agree with Kit completely and can add that I have used that size 190 twice on my Sprint ST and the turn in is not as quick as with the 180.

I actually argued here that it would not be noticed but I proved myself wrong and have never used a 190 on the Sprint since.

Those older members here know my Sprint has seen a lot of tyres in it's lifetime!

DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

A full set of Pilot Power 2CTs are selling for $225 (CND)...:D

Too bad...

Cheers!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I run a 190/55/17 on the rear of my Speedy and it handles better than a 180 IMO. You have to go with the 190/55 because it has a more round profile than the 190/50 which is more flat.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
To effectively make a bike handle with a 190 you need more HP & torque the we have on the Sprints and more weight on the front than we can get without getting really squirrely.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
I run a 190/55/17 on the rear of my Speedy and it handles better than a 180 IMO. You have to go with the 190/55 because it has a more round profile than the 190/50 which is more flat.

I have used two 190's on my Sprint and turn in was slowed more than I thought it would be.
This is the main reason I do not recommend it for a Sprint, it does not improve anything IMHO.

I also run 190's on my Daytona but then I am making over 150hp and with a non std exhaust is also considerably lighter than a stock standard bike.
The 190 is fine on the Daytona 955.

DaveM

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Dave,
Isn't your Daytona wheel a 1/2" wider than your Sprint wheel?

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Yes Charlie the Daytona 955 came with a 6" rim.

From what I gather here there seem to be some Sprint's with 5 1/2" rims and some with 6" or so people here have claimed.:)

DaveM:AustralianFlag

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I have used two 190's on my Sprint and turn in was slowed more than I thought it would be.
This is the main reason I do not recommend it for a Sprint, it does not improve anything IMHO.

I also run 190's on my Daytona but then I am making over 150hp and with a non std exhaust is also considerably lighter than a stock standard bike.
The 190 is fine on the Daytona 955.

DaveM
Dave I agree 100% the 190/50 definitely slows steering, however the 190/55 is a different beastie. Gives a large contact patch and much closer turn in speed to the 180/55.

The 190/55 is very good for 6" rims.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Thanks Russ, nice to have your input here in Sprint land:)
Cheeky blighter, I did have one once ;)

Yeah, the PR2 190/55 still steer a bit slower than a 180/55 but I don't think (on the road at least) you'd notice it with the sharper profile Pilot Power 2CT. Don't know about Metzelers other than the M3 my K1300R came with was quite confidence inspiring just didn't last as long as the PR2s.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Cheeky blighter, I did have one once ;)

Yeah, the PR2 190/55 still steer a bit slower than a 180/55 but I don't think (on the road at least) you'd notice it with the sharper profile Pilot Power 2CT. Don't know about Metzelers other than the M3 my K1300R came with was quite confidence inspiring just didn't last as long as the PR2s.
As a slight digression;

Yes you have had more Triumph triples I think than I have Russ including a Sprint ST:)

Russ what sort of kms do you get from your big beemer on fronts and rears?

Cheers
DaveM:)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
As a slight digression;

Yes you have had more Triumph triples I think than I have Russ including a Sprint ST:)
Yeah but we know you ride a helluva lot harder than me too ;)

Russ what sort of kms do you get from your big beemer on fronts and rears?
Very good actually.

I've taken to trying to be much smoother on the throttle and not whack it open - well with 173hp whacking it open is scary anyway ;) Those that do whack it open get 3000-5000km from a set of tyres. I don't see the sense in that. I've done 30000km in 11months on the K13. So being too heavy handed and going through 6 sets of tyres would be a ridiculous expense :eek:

I got 7800km out of the OEM M3.
13286km out of the first PR2
9100km (so far) out of the second set of PR2s.

This current set have done a trip to Phillip Island via the Snowies, and a late summer run to the Snowies, including about 100km of dirt. Each of the big mountain rides was between 2100-2600km. They are about 55% worn on the front and 70% worn on the rear. I'm looking at changing them before my next big ride - 2weeks.

They've squared off, but don't track the bumps too bad and had 1 puncture on the rear so I don't want to do another 1800km trip on them with some high speed and lots of twisty thrown in.

A new set is only AUD$429 fitted down here so well worth changing 2000km early to minimise risk of further punctures or bad handling. If I was only commuting I'd get the extra 2000 out of them and change them about 11-12000km.

Russ

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
"Yeah but we know you ride a helluva lot harder than me too"

I do not know what you are talking about!;)

Russ that is pretty impressive kms you are getting!
You know me............I am the ridiculous number of tyres guy:eek:

On my ST 73,100kms 21 rears and 14 fronts:eek::eek:

I did surprise myself and get 6,000kms out of a rear PR2 recently on the ST. I really liked the PR2's on my Sprint.

Yes I imagine the big K machine would fairly eat tyres if you were heavy with the right hand.

Thank you Russ:)

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
"Yeah but we know you ride a helluva lot harder than me too"

I do not know what you are talking about!;)
LOL :rolleyes:
Russ that is pretty impressive kms you are getting!
You know me............I am the ridiculous number of tyres guy:eek:
Yes, I'm very happy with it. I'm also av 52mpg (although I've seen as low as 44mpg) over the whole 30,000km. For a 173hp 140nm 243kg bike - I'm imprssed :D

On my ST 73,100kms 21 rears and 14 fronts:eek:

I did surprise myself and get 6,000kms out of a rear PR2 recently on the ST. I really liked the PR2's on my Sprint.
Yes, you're mad. But how many years for the 73000km? For me that would be 2yrs. 14 sets of tyres which would work out over $3000 per year in tyres! :eek:

The PR2s are good allrounders. On the last mountain trip there were guys on pilot pure and pilot power 2ct. I never had 1 moment on the PR2s and when I was having a good day, could stay with them with no trouble (generally they're faster than me no mater the tyres).

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'm on my 2nd 190/55 after always having 190/50's. It is basically the same profile as an 180/55. I was amazed how quickly the bike dropped in compared to the 50. I am trying out a set of the PR 2's, as I am tired of replacing the rear every 3500-4000 miles.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
PR2's definitely good grip even at a track

I have a very good friend ozyfzr who is a fair bit quicker than me on a track and he rides on the track on his PR2's and we do track days wet and dry and they never ever give a problem.

Once it was raining so much that he and I were the only ones on a whole lap session.....................until the guy that does the tech inspections told me i couldn't go out again because my front had no edge tread left (it was sliding around a bit in the wet) and my mate Pete had a tiny oil leak so we were both grounded.

But we did about 8 laps in a down pour and had the whole circuit to ourselves.............that was really cool!:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.