Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reaching out for a little advise and experience. Getting ready to replace tires. Does anyone have experience putting a 200 size rear tire. if so how did she handle afterwards....or maybe someone could give me a site in regards to this matter....thanks so much ....john

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Bigger is not always better.

The bigger tyre will slow the steering down. Combinations of corners will require more effort to pick the bike up and cranked over for the next corner. It will feel "heavy" in corners.

Having said that, it might be worth giving it a go as you will learn from the experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some info from Sport Rider magazine

Does Size Matter
Squeezing a wide tire onto a narrow rim can be a big mistake. Here's why.
From the February, 2009 issue of Sport Rider
By Andrew Trevitt

Those low-profile 190-series tires sure look gnarly on the back of a sportbike, and we've seen them pinched onto all sizes of rims. But in reality, a 190/50-17 fits properly only on a 6.0-inch rim, and cramming it onto anything smaller severely changes its profile.

As an experiment, we mounted a 190-series Metzeler Rennsport onto our F4i's 5.5-inch rear wheel and took some measurements. Compared to the correctly sized tire on the same rim, the 190's profile closely matches the 180's near the edges of the tread, but is much lower in the center area-equivalent to about a 6mm change in ride height. Effectively, the wider tire will give more rake and trail when the bike is vertical, while keeping close to the original geometry when the bike is leaned over. Accounting for one (by changing ride height) will unduly affect the other.

Following our test with the Metzeler Sportecs, we slipped a 190/50 rear Sportec onto the F4i and rode a portion of the test loop for a practical comparison. With no changes to suspension or geometry, the F4i felt substantially different with the wider tire. With the bike straight up and down, steering was slightly sluggish in comparison, but just off vertical, the F4i was quite tippy and darted into corners. The light, neutral steering of the Sportecs was completely changed and the bike lost its balanced feel. The sensation was very much like riding on a tire squared off from too many freeway miles. At higher lean angles, performance was less affected, although making transitions from side to side was unpredictable. And, contrary to the popular myth that the wider tire puts down a bigger footprint and gives more traction, we felt no improvement in that department from the properly sized tire.

We've experienced similar changes with a 180-series tire on a 5.0-inch rim meant for a 170-series bun. Tire engineers work hard to design and match front and rear profiles for characteristics that we sometimes take for granted. Upsetting that balance is surprisingly easy and you should think twice before sacrificing your tire's performance for appearance's sake.

Read more: http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_tire_size/#ixzz27XJPDs1K

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Try it. Then tell us.

I don't understand why you would think it would be better than the tire this bike was sold with.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I reaching out for a little advise and experience. Getting ready to replace tires. Does anyone have experience putting a 200 size rear tire. if so how did she handle afterwards....or maybe someone could give me a site in regards to this matter....thanks so much ....john
Advise part Don't do it
Experience part Not many people have survived to tell us.

:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've put wider on the rear on other bikes but I also changed the geometry on the front by lowering the forks a tad. It gives it a predictable albeit a faster turn in but it is really rock solid on the straight doing the ton plus.

Would I do it again? Probably not as though it didn't pinch on the rim the effect on handling once the tire started to square off was not a lot of fun in the really technical stuff (multiple switchbacks).

If it were me (and it's not so do what you want), I'd leave it stock sized. Any appearance gain would be negligible and even the small off-feeling you will have to adjust to outweighs that for sure.

·
Premium Member
24,354 Posts
Bigger is not always better.

The bigger tyre will slow the steering down. Combinations of corners will require more effort to pick the bike up and cranked over for the next corner. It will feel "heavy" in corners.

Having said that, it might be worth giving it a go as you will learn from the experience.
+1 Beach 100% correct.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was riding behind what looked like some big custom cruiser yesterday with a huge rear tire. Definitely over 200. We headed down through this canyon and you could tell he was working hard to turn the bike, but he looked like he knew what he was doing, and I was wishing there was no traffic in front of us so I could really see him push it. I could tell that me being behind him, he really wanted to show me he was no slouch on that thing. All that being said, I wouldn't want to work that hard if I knew I was going to be doing a lot of twisties. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts