Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
I looked all over this site but I couldn't find an exact answer but I saw someone selling 18" canyon wide rims in the classifieds section. I wanted to know if anyone has tried putting them on a Bonneville SE. I believe you may need to change the spacers which isn't an issue as i can make new spacers if needed. I know it will change how the Motorcycle rides but I am just looking into what it would take to do it and to see if it might be worth it. Any information would be great. Thank you!
Jeff

https://www.triumphrat.net/for-sale-wanted-parts-hinckley-classic-twins/934546-fs-canyon-motorcycle-tt-wide-wheel-setup.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hello Everyone!
I looked all over this site but I couldn't find an exact answer but I saw someone selling 18" canyon wide rims in the classifieds section. I wanted to know if anyone has tried putting them on a Bonneville SE. I believe you may need to change the spacers which isn't an issue as i can make new spacers if needed. I know it will change how the Motorcycle rides but I am just looking into what it would take to do it and to see if it might be worth it. Any information would be great. Thank you!
Jeff

https://www.triumphrat.net/for-sale-wanted-parts-hinckley-classic-twins/934546-fs-canyon-motorcycle-tt-wide-wheel-setup.html
as far as i understand, if you put a front hub (meant for a t100 or thruxton or scrambler) onto an se, you will need to use the brake rotor meant for the t100. you will also need to add spacers to your brake caliper as the se caliper and t100 caliper do not sit on forks similarly.

the triple trees for t100/thruxton/scrambler are different than the ones for an se. as a result, there is more space between forks for an se than t100/thruxton/scrambler.

the rear hubs from t100/thruxton/scrambler should be a direct swap with rear of an se

i have looked into switch my se over to spoked wheels instead of the mags (which i personally hate).
the two options i have come up with are the following:
1) replace my triple tree and lower forks with that of a t100/thruxton and find wheels from t100/thruxton
2) keep my se triple trees and buy the spoke wheel se kit from canyon motorcycles. this kit replaces the mag wheel with a hub and wheel machined to fit perfectly in the se without needing to change anything other than the brake rotor (use t100). its also super pricey which is why i havent done it yet

i thought i read somewhere on canyon motorcycles website that some of their wide wheel kits require a few small mods in order for the rear wide wheel to fit. i cant find this info now so maybe it's my own delusion or maybe these mods are bike model specific. hopefully this info helps you and doesnt make it more convaluted ....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I ended up pulling the trigger on a wide rim kit for a thruxton (from the marketplace). Since my motorcycle is an EFI that does not use a speed sensor at the wheel but on top of the crankcase, I did not need to worry about transferring the speedo drive.

I received the rims and after checking the fitment I knew the original spacers would not work. I had to make the proper spacers for the left side and to mount the brake caliper. I made the spacers and I will try to take some pictures later in case this helps someone in the future. I did need to purchase a new front brake rotor for a T100, I took the opportunity to purchase a Galfer rotor to match my rear Galfer rotor.

The front rim needed two spacers, One for the left side and one for the right side to center the wheel. Since the rim was an 18" rim and only an inch larger than the stock 17" rim from my mag wheel, it did not require a new front fork brace.

The rear rim required no modifications to fit the rim but the chain ran into my kyb shocks, so I ended up shimming the shock a little bit.

I think both methods you listed are pricey but the second option is much more expensive. I think both rims look good myself but the spoke rims are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
they look good!! i see you have the british customs exhaust, i think. got a similar one as i hope to add a sidecar i got + having the pipes exit + sound opposite the chair is a plus.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
In isolation the mag wheels look ok but with the spokes it looks superb.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Looks great!

For your safety though, if that's still the same rubber, please be careful coming out of the hole on corners. The Marathon 880s that were on the wheels are like ice skates without the edge to push off from.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
How much did the handling change when you switched out the mag wheels? Was there a significant increase in seat height as well?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I ended up pulling the trigger on a wide rim kit for a thruxton (from the marketplace). Since my motorcycle is an EFI that does not use a speed sensor at the wheel but on top of the crankcase, I did not need to worry about transferring the speedo drive.

I received the rims and after checking the fitment I knew the original spacers would not work. I had to make the proper spacers for the left side and to mount the brake caliper. I made the spacers and I will try to take some pictures later in case this helps someone in the future. I did need to purchase a new front brake rotor for a T100, I took the opportunity to purchase a Galfer rotor to match my rear Galfer rotor.

The front rim needed two spacers, One for the left side and one for the right side to center the wheel. Since the rim was an 18" rim and only an inch larger than the stock 17" rim from my mag wheel, it did not require a new front fork brace.

The rear rim required no modifications to fit the rim but the chain ran into my kyb shocks, so I ended up shimming the shock a little bit.

I think both methods you listed are pricey but the second option is much more expensive. I think both rims look good myself but the spoke rims are pretty sweet.

man this looks so good! congrats. this is my dream. i really dont like that mags. but i do like how yours were all black. did you paint or powder coat them? maybe ill do the same to mine in the interim...

thanks for this info. theres not much out there thats very descriptive on how to do this swap.
i would love to see images of the spacers for hubs and caliper if you have a minutes to take a few?

also are both front and rear spoke rims 18" ? thats good to know that youre still able to fit an 18" rim and tire under the stock se fork brace. i was concerned with that for sure

and lastly how long are your rear shocks? they look about .5-1inch longer than stock but maybe that's an optical illusion created by your choice of seat?

your bike looks great! looks way better with these spokes rims!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Ripp - I see you're in LA. Head over to Canyon and check it out in person. They're the ones doing these wheel mods. Solid dudes for sure.

https://goo.gl/maps/YBEEe5fDk6x

Thanks for rec man! I’ve been to their shop before when I owned my thruxton. Bought some parts from him and talked shop. He’s super nice. I even sent an email to him recently about the direct swap spoke wheel kit he offers for se’s. We ended up talking on the phone a bit about what he offers. With this kit, no modifications are needed to change an se from mag to spoke wheel except for replacing the stock se front brake rotor with one from a t100. Otherwise it’s plug and play. However it costs an arm and a leg.

If I can pick up stock t100 hubs for cheap and machine my own spacers then I’m fine with that.

The stock hubs might be “heavier” than the ones canyons offers but I’m not really looking for performance. I’m just looking for that classic look.

Even though this thread is about fitting wide wheel canyon kit on an se, the theory is the same as fitting stock hubs on an se since the hubs are the same widths. This is why I’m so intrigued and have so many questions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they look good!! i see you have the british customs exhaust, i think. got a similar one as i hope to add a sidecar i got + having the pipes exit + sound opposite the chair is a plus.
Thanks, These pipes are pretty loud. The person who owned my SE before me put them on but ignored the part where they would be too low for the SE. So i do have some evident grinding marks on the headers from hitting the ground while cornering. I've since raised up the suspension a bit so that isn't an issue anymore.
Jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In isolation the mag wheels look ok but with the spokes it looks superb.
Yeah i think it looks good on either rimset but the spokes make me smile a little more. :)

Looks great!

For your safety though, if that's still the same rubber, please be careful coming out of the hole on corners. The Marathon 880s that were on the wheels are like ice skates without the edge to push off from.
It is the same rubber, I've felt them slide a little but I'm not super aggressive while riding. I'll keep it in mind though. Thanks for the warning. :)

How much did the handling change when you switched out the mag wheels? Was there a significant increase in seat height as well?
Going from 17" front rim to the 18" front rim wasn't much of a change. I could tell the front rim didn't counter-steer as fast but I like the stability from the larger patch of tire contacting the ground. It also helps that I put ohlins cartridges in the front. I am still in the process of getting used to the bike with all the upgrades I put on. Once I have more non straight line miles on it, I will let you know :)

man this looks so good! congrats. this is my dream. i really dont like that mags. but i do like how yours were all black. did you paint or powder coat them? maybe ill do the same to mine in the interim...

thanks for this info. theres not much out there thats very descriptive on how to do this swap.
i would love to see images of the spacers for hubs and caliper if you have a minutes to take a few?

also are both front and rear spoke rims 18" ? thats good to know that youre still able to fit an 18" rim and tire under the stock se fork brace. i was concerned with that for sure

and lastly how long are your rear shocks? they look about .5-1inch longer than stock but maybe that's an optical illusion created by your choice of seat?

your bike looks great! looks way better with these spokes rims!
Thanks! I like the all black mag wheels much better than the stock color. I had them powder coated after I was in an accident and I purchased the motorcycle back from the insurance company. I did all the leg work on removing the tires, bearings and seals. It was about 300 for both rims from a local powder coating company. The new bearings/seals cost about 100ish. Reassembly was pretty straight forward and then getting the tires balances cost was about 40 bucks from my local honda motorcycle dealership. In all it was about 350-400 for just the powder coating but I also added the galfer rotor on the front which I think looks awesome! I am selling my powder coated rims if you are interested. If not, that's okay too :)

Both front and rear are 18" I liked that the front and rear are the same size vs the off set sizes of the T100. Just my personal preference :)

My rear shocks are about 360mm eye to eye. I really want to get some ohlins for the back to round our my setup but they are soooooo expensive. Also my front suspension is a little different. Since i have ohlins cartridges installed i had to have my shock length be about an inch longer so the cartridges would fit. Basically I have scrambler tubes with SE lowers. Yes it is a bit weird but it works and looks good too.

Great upgrade, they look awesome. I'm jealous for sure.
Thanks, I got a good price from Speedfoos which helped convince myself I can spend the money without my wife chopping off my head. :) It helped a lot to have my own machine shop at work to be able to make the spacers. Also my father who is an ex motorcycle mechanic helped a lot too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for rec man! I’ve been to their shop before when I owned my thruxton. Bought some parts from him and talked shop. He’s super nice. I even sent an email to him recently about the direct swap spoke wheel kit he offers for se’s. We ended up talking on the phone a bit about what he offers. With this kit, no modifications are needed to change an se from mag to spoke wheel except for replacing the stock se front brake rotor with one from a t100. Otherwise it’s plug and play. However it costs an arm and a leg.

If I can pick up stock t100 hubs for cheap and machine my own spacers then I’m fine with that.

The stock hubs might be “heavier” than the ones canyons offers but I’m not really looking for performance. I’m just looking for that classic look.

Even though this thread is about fitting wide wheel canyon kit on an se, the theory is the same as fitting stock hubs on an se since the hubs are the same widths. This is why I’m so intrigued and have so many questions.
I will post the sizes of the spacers with some pictures tonight. If you have a machine shop then it will be much easier. I may be able to help if you don't have access to a machine shop :) Also I am always up for answering questions, so ask away. Plus it can be a good thing for other people who have the same questions.

Jeff

·
Registered
279 Posts
The new wheels look good, but seeing your mags makes me want to powder coat mine even more now
i agree. seeing the all black mags makes me want to do the same. i would def do this as personally the all black makes the mags more tolerable. but i think i have a few leads on some spoke wheel options.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
so heres a third option to a mag wheel to spoke wheel conversion (which is looking like the cheapest and most streamlined effort):

1) find rear hub for t100/thruxton/scrambler including kush drive. swap over sprocket and rear brake rotor ( personally i would upgrade the stock 17" rim to an 18" and put on new tires)
2) purchase the direct bolt on hub mag wheel to spoke wheel conversion by canyon motorcycles (upgrade brake rotor to t100 size, rim size 18" and put on new tires). this way no spacers are needed nor replacing triple trees.

it looks like this is going to be my route....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so heres a third option to a mag wheel to spoke wheel conversion (which is looking like the cheapest and most streamlined effort):

1) find rear hub for t100/thruxton/scrambler including kush drive. swap over sprocket and rear brake rotor ( personally i would upgrade the stock 17" rim to an 18" and put on new tires)
2) purchase the direct bolt on hub mag wheel to spoke wheel conversion by canyon motorcycles (upgrade brake rotor to t100 size, rim size 18" and put on new tires). this way no spacers are needed nor replacing triple trees.

it looks like this is going to be my route....
This seems like a nice low cost option. I look forward to seeing the pictures!

·
Registered
279 Posts
This seems like a nice low cost option. I look forward to seeing the pictures!
so i spoke to adrian at canyon motorcycles. hes willing to build me a direct bolt on spoke wheel to convert my se mag wheel. however its still going to cost quite a bit.
i found someone who will build me a wheel using a talon hub, offset to compensate for the se brake caliper, and includes new spacers. still waiting to hear price for this build but im going to predict its cheaper than canyon motorcycles. will give an update on what i discover...

oh and i should mention that i was able to find a stock t100 rear hub for pennies on ebay. its currently in the mail and will end up purchasing a rim and spokes from buchannans as they are in my backyard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts