Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everybody has heard this already, but I just had an 18 Tooth Sprocket put on my standard Bonneville today and then took a little ride at highway speeds and what a freakin' difference For the better of course. The engine seems to be much more relaxed (which everybody said it would). Way Cool!!!! This is by far the best modification anyone from this post has recommended. Happy Trails. :cool:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I've had the 19T in mine for about a year now, and there
is no going back for me. I love it, I also think it is one of the
cheapest and best mod I've done.
Bill

·
Registered
51 Posts
How much does the 18 tooth affect your accelleration? I rarely drive over 85mph, but I like my turbo boost. ;)

I was actually considering switching to a 16t.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have got to say I like my 2001 with a 19T. I have K&N filter, A1 removed, snorkle removed, baffels out, and just fitted Thruxton needles replacing the stock with one shim and I am very happy the bike. Nay two up it might not be so good but for one up cruisen its great.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Poffy-I have a 16T sprocket and it makes for a much more aggressive "around town" riding. You shift a lot more and you will be lucky to break 100mph with it without REALLY winding the motor up. I went on an expressway ramp and nailed it, not paying attention to shift count but traffic. It got to 95 very quickly but when I pulled the shifter up, I was surprised to find I was in 5th (and final) gear and reving hard. Definately not a highway sprocket. Around town, yes, great fun. Get one of each when you want to change things up a little.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have to admit.....some times I do miss my 17T with the
very fast take off, She would take off like a bullet.
But, I know would miss how she feels with the 19T
at cursing speed and on the highway a lot more.
I can ride her all day at 85-90 mph and she never brakes a sweat.
She can still come off the line pretty dam fast.
I know I could never go back.
Bill

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I started with the 17T, went to the 18T, then back to the 17T. I personally like the way the bike responds with the 17T. However, I'm thinking I may want to try one of the following changes to lower the rpm just a touch at high Interstate speeds, but not quite as low as the 18T makes it:
1. Install Metzeler 140/80-17 rear tire. Larger diameter than stock will essentially provide slightly higher gearing.
2. Keep running a 17T on the countershaft, but drop the rear sprocket one tooth, from a 43T to a 42T. That would result in a final drive ratio that falls somewhere between running stock gearing and an 18T:

Stock
43/17 = 2.53:1

Drop one tooth on rear sprocket
42/17 = 2.47:1

Add one tooth to countershaft sprocket
43/18 = 2.388:1

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-11-15 09:29 ]

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
From what I understand, the 18T works very well with the big bore mods because it lets you rev out the increased power longer resulting in higher speed. With the extra grunt the big bore gives you, you take off plenty quick.

·
Registered
219 Posts
After purchasing my Bonnie I immediately went to an 18T front sprocket, I couldn't feel any difference.
As soon as the 19T sprocket became available I installed it, now I felt a difference.
I will NEVER go back to a 17 or 18 front sprocket, AND I'm thinking of loosing one or two teeth on the rear sprocket.
I've NEVER felt a lack of torque, and I ride two up frequently.

[ This message was edited by: Thruxton on 2006-11-11 16:46 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts