Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a 17 inch front wheel?

What effect did it have on the handling and steering.

I'm thinking about it for a better choice of sticky rubber. Cheapest option seems to be reusing the existing hub built around a new alloy rim with stainless spokes for about £160.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
I read an article a couple months back in BIKE magazine which featured the Moto Twin Bonnie with 17" front and upgraded tires/brakes. Really liked it. Perhaps Triumph will do that for us one day.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Rob, I have a 17 inch front you can try for a test ride if you want.

I tried it and am headed in that direction aswell.

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Rip-where did you get the 17" set up? What kind of tires are you using? Did you have to modify the front mudguard? Any Pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
Are you guys going to a 17" rim and tire to reduce trail and the centrifugal force of the larger 19" stock rim. Maybe to make the bike steer more quickly with less handlebar effort? That is what I'd expect the results to be. Does going with the 17" take anything away from the bike? Stability, or the 'on rails' feel the stock bike has in turns? I'd be curious to hear about your findings.

Regards,

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,609 Posts
One more posting ........... looks sweet! I often wondered what my L Orange and Silver would look like with matching side panels. I like it!

Appears from the photo that your bike has all the guys' attention in the parking lot!

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
On 2007-01-01 17:51, ohiorider wrote:
Are you guys going to a 17" rim and tire to reduce trail and the centrifugal force of the larger 19" stock rim. Maybe to make the bike steer more quickly with less handlebar effort? That is what I'd expect the results to be. Does going with the 17" take anything away from the bike? Stability, or the 'on rails' feel the stock bike has in turns? I'd be curious to hear about your findings.

Regards,

Bob
Hi Bob:
In my case I replaced the triple tree alongside the wheel and tire, and that change the trail and rake, and in effect steers quicker and turns better, what it can take away is a bit of ground clearance, but overall turns much better, we have to consider the use of better tires as well.
The other solutions was upside down forks, but I didn't like to go that route.
I hope this help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
On 2007-01-01 17:55, ohiorider wrote:
One more posting ........... looks sweet! I often wondered what my L Orange and Silver would look like with matching side panels. I like it!

Appears from the photo that your bike has all the guys' attention in the parking lot!

Bob
I was wondering that as well, that photo was in Cambria CA last August, and it was the first time my buddies seen the bike in that configuration.
I'm glad that you have a Lucifer as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2007-01-01 13:03, Rip wrote:
Rob, I have a 17 inch front you can try for a test ride if you want.

I tried it and am headed in that direction aswell.

Phil
Hi Phil

17" front. Have you fitted it yet? How do you like it.

Test ride - sounds interesting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Rob,
I have a RGV front wheel that you could have a test with.
I tried it for about 50 miles and loved it - I could not leave it in the disc diameter was 10mm too short and no speedo drive, but it has made my mind up to go ahead and fit 17 inch.
The faster steering was great, you can ride round other bikes.
I am also going to lift the back end with Thruxton shocks (slightly longer than bonnie)
I have just picked up a second hand Daytona front end; double disc's, electronic speedo drive, mag front wheel.
I tried fitting a ZXR400 front wheel, it fits OK but too much messing about with the speedo drive (although a little more time and it could be done).
Phil

Bonne1000th - Brilliant bike mate.

[ This message was edited by: Rip on 2007-01-02 13:55 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil

Bob Farnham Tuning is currently building a Super Thruxton. He has fitted a Daytona front end, 904cc pistons and liners, 17" carbon fibre wheels, 41mm Keihin flat sided carbs, headwork porting and skimming, exhaust system ect... I think he is aiming for 80/90 rear wheel BHP. The bike will be used as a demonstrator. If he has enough interest, he will sell modified Thruxtons and Bonnies to the public. I'm looking forward to a test ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Rob,
When does he expect the super Thruxton to be finished.
Phil
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top