Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How wise would it be to switch out the standard 18/16 in. wheels on a standard TBird for 17 in. front and rear? I really love the look of the TBS, and would appreciate the greater range of tire options with the different size. I'm after a TBS, but I keep seeing regular TBirds around and I'm thinking that I might just modify the standard bike to my more sporting tastes. What are the potential problems here? Anyone made this modification? Is it worth it to purchase after market rims for something like this?

·
Premium Member
3,790 Posts
If you get new rims laced onto your hubs you can take the opportinity to install an even wider rim on the rear than the TBS has. If you can find them the cast wheels from a T3 Urban sport (Sprint, Trophy, Speed triple, Daytona) might be less expensive. That conversion has been done quite a bit, but to take full advantage of that you also need to change forks to utilize the second front rotor.

I talked to a wheel builder about it a couple of years ago. He was talking around 4 - 5 hundred for each rim including spokes and lacing/truing. I think as the tires become less available this could become a popular conversion.

Another possibility for the rear is a (T3) Tiger rear, it is a 17" but slightly wider than the TBS rim.

CafeTBird will have some input for you. As well as take a look at the Highly Modified pics. There are several pics in that thread with 17" wheel conversions.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sold my adventurer and bought my brother in-laws Legend after a ride. Much more balanced and sporty with 17's all around. Most balanced bike I have ever owned. Confidence inspiring. A Legend might be cheaper and easier to find than the TBS.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I've started thinking recently of replacing the 16/18 wheels on my T'Bird for 17/17 from a Legend.

From my reading of many earlier threads (which tend to start out discussing Legend 17" and then switch to discussion of TBS 17" or vice versa), I gather that as well as also swopping out the front fender (no big deal) I may need to look at replacing the speedo with one from a Legend and also that the Legend forks are not identical to those of a T'Bird (they have different part numbers, at least).

Can anyone who has replaced the T'Bird 18" for a Legend 17" confirm whether or not forks and speedo proved to be real issues?

An alternative might be to just swap out the rear 16" for a 17" from a Legend (since 17/18 tyre combos still seem to be readily available). Not sure what implications this would have in respect of the sprocket (is that for the Legend smaller?), ride height and handling, though.

Any guidance on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I have swapped 99 Legend & 98 Tbird wheels & forks, just bolt straight up. The Tbird front mudguard sits a little higher over the 17" but I just left it as it is. (My 'ThunderLegend' pics in 'Photos...' section show Tbird bodywork on a Legend rolling chassis.) Can't think why the forks would be a different part #, everything just swaps over. The speedo will read slightly high, few percent, calibrate it against your tacho before you swap the rear 16". The 17s will leave front & rear a little lower, depending on actual tyre sizes used before & after. You can check the details on the gearing spreadsheet, which gives wheel diameter info for the tyre size entered.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Mike, thanks for the input and the spreadsheet. Re Scot's speculation on the mudguard mount points, did you notice any difference between the positioning on the respective forks when you had both the LegendThunder and the ThunderLegend?

Scot - I thought I'd read somewhere on here that it was the Speedo head rather than the drive that mattered. Thanks for putting me straight on that.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Mike, thanks for the input and the spreadsheet. Re Scot's speculation on the mudguard mount points, did you notice any difference between the positioning on the respective forks when you had both the LegendThunder and the ThunderLegend?

Scot - I thought I'd read somewhere on here that it was the Speedo head rather than the drive that mattered. Thanks for putting me straight on that.
No difference in the fork slider mounting points, the Legend mudguard's bracket mounts it a little lower, Tbird a little higher, but both work with either wheel size. You could redrill a Tbird mudguard's mount holes a little higher to drop it a bit, but I didn't bother.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
I normally run a 17" front on my Tbird, but for the time being I have gone back to the 18" because the 17" needs a new tyre.

I have to say the bike feels (and looks) a whole lot better with the 17" fitted. I am not entirely happy with the gap between tyre and fender, but I can live with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts