Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XR in upstate NY. I had a battery go flat a couple of months ago. It charged up fine, but the engine fault light comes on sporadically. It comes on, stays there for a few rides and then goes off. Then it comes on again. The code I can get from the bike using the up-arrow+information buttons method is P1698.

Any suggestions as to where I should look here?

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin
747 Posts

What is your battery voltage?
1. Key off
2. Immediately after turning key on
3. While idling
4. At about 2,000 RPM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

What is your battery voltage?
1. Key off
2. Immediately after turning key on
3. While idling
4. At about 2,000 RPM
This is the original Triumph battery. It's a 2016 model year bike that was put on the road in April 2017.

1. Key off - 12.96V
2. Immediately after turning key on - 12.65V
3. While idling - 14.27V
4. At about 2,000 RPM - 14.33V

·
Registered
747 Posts
All voltages are good. Probably ought to start checking all connections related to the ECU.

·
Registered
747 Posts
A. Disconnect connectors, reconnect.

B. Check wires to connectors for any sign of weakness.

C. Ensure that harness/chassis grounds to engine / transmission are not more than 0.1 ohm resistance.

D. Same with both ends of battery negative cable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a license to use TuneECU and used it with my cheap automobile Bluetooth ODBII reader, and it worked first time! I cleared the 2 dtc codes found in the ECU – one relating to the battery having been flattened and the other to a fault in a 5V line from the ECU having failed, another effect I suspect of the flat battery. The software also helped me reset the service interval. I LOVE this app! Now I just have to hope that the fault codes stay cleared!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a license to use TuneECU and used it with my cheap automobile Bluetooth ODBII reader, and it worked first time! I cleared the 2 dtc codes found in the ECU – one relating to the battery having been flattened and the other to a fault in a 5V line from the ECU having failed, another effect I suspect of the flat battery. The software also helped me reset the service interval. I LOVE this app! Now I just have to hope that the fault codes stay cleared!
My suggestion would be to get a new battery. A weak battery will throw all kinds of codes. But, don't get a Deltran Lithium battery. I went through all kinds of hell with one of those and they just will not work with a Triumph. Other lithium batteries may work but not a Deltran. I finally just bought a new GMT battery. All problems went away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion would be to get a new battery. A weak battery will throw all kinds of codes. But, don't get a Deltran Lithium battery. I went through all kinds of hell with one of those and they just will not work with a Triumph. Other lithium batteries may work but not a Deltran. I finally just bought a new GMT battery. All problems went away.
I'm coming around to your way of thinking. After I reset the codes the bike behaved for a couple of days. Then I pulled it out of the garage and parked it on my driveway. An hour later I sat on it to ride and it wouldn't start - lights all up and bright but no starter motor. After 5 minutes of poking at it, it started, as if nothing had happened except the engine light was on. 3 clean starts later the engine light clears. How does a flaky battery post sound?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm coming around to your way of thinking. After I reset the codes the bike behaved for a couple of days. Then I pulled it out of the garage and parked it on my driveway. An hour later I sat on it to ride and it wouldn't start - lights all up and bright but no starter motor. After 5 minutes of poking at it, it started, as if nothing had happened except the engine light was on. 3 clean starts later the engine light clears. How does a flaky battery post sound?
I replaced the battery a few days ago. One good ride and several garage starts and stops and all is well so far. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts