Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has most certainly been talked about, but just need imputes. The ol girl has a 07 Thuxton and wants a wider tire (160mm).

-Will it fit on a stock rim?
-If so, will it be pulled in so much that it won't look/perfom well?

Any help is appriciated

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Many manufacturer's will list what size rim their tire will fit on their websites. I recommend going with their advice. There are a few 150mm that (manufacture's claim) will go on a 3.5 rim but really a 140mm or smaller works best. I run a 160mm on the back of my bike but have swapped out the rim for an Excel 4.25". A 160mm is the about the widest on a rim with no offset - my tire is very close to the chain. 180mm and you will need one of the special offset rims sold by the likes of South Bay and others.

I ran a Bridgstone BT020 150mm on the back of my stock rim on 1 set of tires.

·
Registered
662 Posts
150 is about as wide as you want to go. With a 160 you would be a little too close to the chain.

·
Registered
421 Posts
This has most certainly been talked about, but just need imputes. The ol girl has a 07 Thuxton and wants a wider tire (160mm).

-Will it fit on a stock rim?
-If so, will it be pulled in so much that it won't look/perfom well?

Any help is appriciated
Can we ask why the wider tire...? A 150 is probably as big as it could go with the stock rim (be sure to check manf recommendations). I run Pirelli Sport Demons in the stock sizes and have never had any issues (track days and canyon runs). Scrape pegs, good handling and response is very good as well for this type of bike. I tend to focus more on handling and corners more...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why a wider tire?...

Can we ask why the wider tire...? A 150 is probably as big as it could go with the stock rim (be sure to check manf recommendations). I run Pirelli Sport Demons in the stock sizes and have never had any issues (track days and canyon runs). Scrape pegs, good handling and response is very good as well for this type of bike. I tend to focus more on handling and corners more...
...cause she looks hot on this bike and I want to keep her happy and riding:)

Seriously...thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
734 Posts
+1

150 rear, 110 front looks nice... stock sizes look a little thin

That's the set-up I'm running and I'm pretty happy but I only have 1000 on them. I can tell you that there is a little more stability and the mechanics are the same as stock. But it does look better and cornering is nice.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A 160 will fit, here is mine on a stock rim. It is a little too large for the stock size rim...but it will fit. I knew that I would be changing to a wider rim and didn't want to buy a new tire for it.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts