Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who've had the experience... How much different does 100cc's make?

Can you upgrade every Thunderbird engine to the higher displacement version?

I really like the Storm, but they seem to be a whole lot more difficult to come by...

·
Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
544 Posts
So the timing of your question is perfect. I have a 2010 Thunderbird 1600 and it has about 32,000 miles on it, and for a variety of reasons I can go into on another post when I have more time...I'm upgrading. TODAY I purchased the Big Bore kit and am having it shipped out...when it gets here my shop wants to take a look and make sure it's complete, and then I'm scheduling having it done. As for worth it...I have read lots of forum posts about just how much better the engine feels, not just performs. I have a Power Commander V on mine already so the shop will just tune it on the dyno to break it in...so I will have before (1600), and after (1700) dyno graphs to compare.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I've ridden both and purchased two 1700's. I can say I could tell the difference and was impressed with the extra 100

·
Registered
544 Posts
Bad news here...I just got emailed that the Big Bore kit is no longer available from Triumph. I tried 2 places online that showed to have it "in stock" on their shelves, and got the same result from both of them. The place I ordered from, refunded my credit card. So now what?

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's just the problem, my bike has the infamous anti-freeze leak anytime it is ridden even moderately frisky (3rd gear, rolling on and off throttle from 3-4K rpm corner to corner)...EVERY SINGLE ride it looks like a elephant sneezed on my manifold behind the cylinder heads, I was going to finally have the shop mill the heads or whatever is needed to fix this problem once and for all and combine that with a big bore kit...I guess I will just spend the $$ to get it fixed without the benefit of an upgrade...seriously thinking about selling her and getting something else.

·
Registered
470 Posts
IMO u r lucky it was out of stock. I have a Tbird i bought new in mid '09, pre order bike. Have 80,000 plus on it now and got the BB kit at 12,000. Soon after it was installed the knocking started. If u haven't read about it the 1600s rarely have the issue but a lot of 1700s do because of the bore./piston geometry. Piston slap from most accounts. It's ruined my enjoyment of the bike for many years. Don't do it ! Even if your chances of not developing the knock are better then having it, it's not worth the chance. Second, the power gains are not huge at all and probably 90% of the gains are not from the extra 100cc but from the cams. If you can find a kit i would just put the cams in and run a 1700 tune. But do yourself a big favor and don't have the kit installed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO u r lucky it was out of stock. I have a Tbird i bought new in mid '09, pre order bike. Have 80,000 plus on it now and got the BB kit at 12,000. Soon after it was installed the knocking started. If u haven't read about it the 1600s rarely have the issue but a lot of 1700s do because of the bore./piston geometry. Piston slap from most accounts. It's ruined my enjoyment of the bike for many years. Don't do it ! Even if your chances of not developing the knock are better then having it, it's not worth the chance. Second, the power gains are not huge at all and probably 90% of the gains are not from the extra 100cc but from the cams. If you can find a kit i would just put the cams in and run a 1700 tune. But do yourself a big favor and don't have the kit installed.
That is what makes the biggest gains. The cam profile and tune should get it more gain than the 100cc.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I wish the storm wasn't so noisy and what was the most disturbing was the sounds weren't in rhythm with engine rpm's! just random knocks completely out of tune with everything else. My favorite looking cruiser that got compliments everywhere I went. I agree if you want more power trade for a used R3 or naked bike or invest $3-4k on a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
My Triumph dealer strongly discouraged me from big-boring up to 1700. He said the 1700 engines are way noisy. I listened to him and have no complaints. TORs and some map tweaks and it can climb trees.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's just the problem, my bike has the infamous anti-freeze leak anytime it is ridden even moderately frisky (3rd gear, rolling on and off throttle from 3-4K rpm corner to corner)...EVERY SINGLE ride it looks like a elephant sneezed on my manifold behind the cylinder heads, I was going to finally have the shop mill the heads or whatever is needed to fix this problem once and for all and combine that with a big bore kit...I guess I will just spend the $$ to get it fixed without the benefit of an upgrade...seriously thinking about selling her and getting something else.
I've never heard of a common coolant leak. Are you sure it's coming from where the head meets the cylinders? If you're correct, then what I would do is reface both heads, which will increase the compression a little, then throw in the 1700 cams. I reckon after that you'll be really happy with it!

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Thunderbird Storm
448 Posts
Most coolant leaks are from the crappy cheap hose clamps - or clamps that simply weren't fitted correctly. I haven't heard of a common leak caused by an actual design issue.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most coolant leaks are from the crappy cheap hose clamps - or clamps that simply weren't fitted correctly. I haven't heard of a common leak caused by an actual design issue.
I agree. When I removed the exhaust decompression cams I had to disconnect the cooling system above the motor. After putting it all back together i had a very annoying leak where the hose clamps over a metal pipe. Had to take the tank off many times so I could try and get that leak fixed!!!

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I saw a black Storm on the road yesterday, probably the second one I’ve seen on the road ever. if I ever buy another cruiser it’ll be a thunderbird storm and I’ll just wear earplugs for the racket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts