Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for a ride last Saturday and at the first stop to meet up with my riding buddy I smelled gas and noticed that gas was dripping quite a bit from the right side of the tank toward the front onto the exhaust but only when the engine was running. As soon as I turned off the engine it stopped and did not leak again until I started it again (it did not leak with just the ignition turned on). I had it towed to the dealer and they removed the tank and saw no evidence of leaking and then reinstalled the tank and it no longer leaked. The best we could figure was that the fuel line quick connect fitting at the fuel pump was not seated properly and when they disconnected it and reconnected it they inadvertently fixed the leak. I had a different dealer do the fuel pump leak recall about 6 months ago and I wonder if they did not reinstall the fuel line correctly and it worked loose causing the leak? Anyone else have a similar experience? My bike has about 5,300 miles on it.

I had the dealer do the re-flash for the clutch pull/throttle blip stalling issue recall while I was there so it was not a total waste of time. This is the third time I've had to have the bike towed to a dealer--the other two times for flats on the rear with the stupid tube tires that you can't patch on the side of the road.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've had my tank off and on several times and the gas line connector can be tough to remove, I actually thought it was easier to reconnect than to remove. I thought it had a slider clip to ensure it would not come undone? Maybe the slider wasn't correctly fastened and the pressure and vibration caused the fuel line to dislodge enough to leak fuel.

In the late 90s Triumph, Ducati and BMW had a lot of the plastic fuel connectors break and spray fuel on everything. This certainly doesn't sound like your issue because it was really easy to find the problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Never had issues of the sort although I recall quite a lot of fuel dripping under my bike once (a rather big puddle had even formed which eroded my garage floor lining). It turned out that I had really over-filled the tank.

Considering that you had the fuel pump leak recall about 6 months ago, do you think a simple over-fill might have caused the problem?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never had issues of the sort although I recall quite a lot of fuel dripping under my bike once (a rather big puddle had even formed which eroded my garage floor lining). It turned out that I had really over-filled the tank.

Considering that you had the fuel pump leak recall about 6 months ago, do you think a simple over-fill might have caused the problem?
I had not filled the tank yet that day and it was less than half full so it was not an over-fill issue.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If it’s fixed ok. Just an FYI. Month after getting my ‘16 TTR I smelled and saw some drips of fuel from under the fuel rail. Connection from the high pressure line to the fuel rail was loose. Dealer fix and no other issues.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it’s fixed ok. Just an FYI. Month after getting my ‘16 TTR I smelled and saw some drips of fuel from under the fuel rail. Connection from the high pressure line to the fuel rail was loose. Dealer fix and no other issues.
The dealer did check all of the fuel lines and connections and tightened them up so who knows where the problem was. It is fixed now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts