Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Like @Legman this is a very familiar thread. My '05 had the progressively soft lever starting in '06 after some pad wear. The lever would pump up and brake performance was unchanged, but scary. After a year of bleeding related solutions that did not work the dealer performed the goodwill fix comprising replacement front pistons and seals from the Daytona. Twelve years and 30k miles later the brakes are still eye popping, predictable, linear and deserving of the "best brakes in the world" title the '05 Speedy received from motorcycle mag.

On a friend's '06 Speedy with the same issue after the goodwill fix had expired, we took the calipers apart, cleaned pistons thoroughly, replaced seals alone for something like $40 in parts. From distant memory, the updated seals were a hair larger in diameter. Ten years later his speedy's brakes are "stronger than my '17 R NineT" with the Brembo monoblocks so this resolution does have legs. Curious if somebody tries a piston seal replacement and if that does it. Shame on Triumph for not learning from this one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Anyone knows where to get the Brembo seals? The dealer wants $167 a set that includes the piston. Brembo website has nothing listed for the seals or caliper kits. This is total BS to force you to buy from the dealership.
I spoke to a Brembo dealer and they said the same thing.
Part #
T2021458

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been bugged by this issue for 15 years, on my '02 Speed Triple 955i then my '05 Daytona 955i. A dead inch or so of lever travel (not spongy, no resistance at all), then a fairly decent firm action, good braking, but always that feeling I could pull the lever to the handgrip. I have the adjustable lever span at the maximum to avoid this. Seemed to improve after each pad change, for a while. I installed braided lines with the Renthal bars I fitted in 2013, no difference. I installed a 17mm Nissin radial master cylinder. Not really any improvement, but at least the brakes don't feel too wooden. Then 3 years ago I decided to replace the caliper seals. The Triumph dealer said I could get the entire piston/seal kit for the price of the seals, so I bought the kit, and installed it. It actually was better for a few months, then went back to normal. The dealer didn't tell me about the alternative Daytona 675 kit. It does not appear to be substituted for the old kit, why not? Finally I learned about the coated pistons on this forum, I don't know why I never searched on this issue earlier. I checked on Fowler's Parts and Bike Bandits, they don't connect the two piston/seal kits.
Anyway, I have 2 x kit part number T2020465 coming from Cycle Parts for USD181, best price I could find. It will be worth it.
IanB

·
Registered
116 Posts
I suspected that the calipers had to be the cause of the dead lever travel, but several times over the years I had shone a strong flashlight in from the front while squeezing, releasing the front brake lever repeatedly. I could never see a gap closing and opening between the pads and the disks. Just now, I lay on the garage floor and looked up from below, so I could see the pistons. Sure enough, when the brake lever was repeatedly actuated, a gap closed and opened between the pistons and pads. The pistons are definitely retracting behind the pads when the lever is released.
If I had noticed this earlier I would have known that braided lines or a different master cylinder would not fix it.

I had a more extreme case of dead lever travel once, on my other Daytona 955i with low kilometres that did not have the same dead lever travel. I had just bled the front brakes, verified the brake action was good, topped off the reservoir and installed the cap. The cap sealed too well, so no brake fluid entered the cylinder from the reservoir as the lever was released. That time I could see the pad-to-disk gap opening/closing. When I loosened the cap slightly the brake action was OK again.
IanB

·
Registered
417 Posts
Can you measure the coated piston? That is key to verify if it fits the Speed Triple Brembo caliper. I would really like to try this, but only if the measurement coincides. Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
That's the issue. I lube piston seals with a mixture of ester oil and ceramic particles, applied with a thin brush and very little quantity. Be careful don't touch pads and rotors with that. No more spongy lever
Went to pick up the bike last week after they replaced a caliper in an attempt to address the issue (Left caliper wasn't engaging - Apparently an additional, unrelated Brembo failure). When I checked the lever, there was a 1/2-3/4 difference between 1st and second pull. Had to laugh to keep from crying. Seriously felt like kicking the bike over and giving it a good stomping. I refused to take it home, obviously. They'll be contacting Triumph for more ideas. I have passed this info on to them, but as it's still under warranty, I'm not touching them. Will update.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Went to pick up the bike last week after they replaced a caliper in an attempt to address the issue (Left caliper wasn't engaging - Apparently an additional, unrelated Brembo failure). When I checked the lever, there was a 1/2-3/4 difference between 1st and second pull. Had to laugh to keep from crying. Seriously felt like kicking the bike over and giving it a good stomping. I refused to take it home, obviously. They'll be contacting Triumph for more ideas. I have passed this info on to them, but as it's still under warranty, I'm not touching them. Will update.
Thank you for your patience and keeping up the fight for those of us now out of warranty, and still having the same issue. I am moving to measure the caliper pistons and finding, if coated ones from another model will fit as mentioned above by Blacki999.
Keep us posted please.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Thank you for your patience and keeping up the fight for those of us now out of warranty, and still having the same issue. I am moving to measure the caliper pistons and finding, if coated ones from another model will fit as mentioned above by Blacki999.
Keep us posted please.
My warranty ended in May 2019, but Triumph is honoring my ongoing claim since initial, unsuccessful attempts while under warranty failed to fix the issue. If you had a shop try and fail under warranty, contact Triumph.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Update on mine. Haven’t been riding much due to the weather. But I can tell that it is starting to get softer on the first pull. I am sure the more I ride the worse it will get. Then back to dealership to see what Triumph says to do next.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What a hot mess this is. And more of a wonder how Triumph hasn’t recalled the full system yet just to be safe, especially when the issue is the front brake no less

·
Registered
429 Posts
What a hot mess this is. And more of a wonder how Triumph hasn’t recalled the full system yet just to be safe, especially when the issue is the front brake no less
No manufacturer is going to fix anything that will cost them money until they are forced to...just look at Boeing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Agree^^^^^^^^^
I bet because the brakes work with an "oh shaiza" moment on a panic stop, they are not going to voluntarily. A class action lawsuit could do it, but lawyer cost money. Solution is get coated caliper pistons and new seals. I will go this route as soon as blacki999 gets his kit and gives us a measurement and input.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting concoction. It must reduce the seals grip on the pistons just enough that they can slide forward in the infinitesimal increments needed to accommodate pad wear yet provide sufficient hold that the seals still distort fractionally and so retract the tiniest amount needed to avoid pad/disc drag. Reassuring that you're addressing the root cause and not blindly assuming it's air in the system as many do.

Ceramic particles eh? Where on earth do get ceramic particles or do you grind up an old toilet fixture?
hexagonal boron nitride . You can find it in eBay site.

·
Registered
159 Posts
After riding more old issues return. Went by dealership to see what next steps would be. They are contacting Triumph and will let me know. I also made a follow up call to Triumph since I have an open case to put them on notice that none of the “fixes” to date have worked and I had gone by dealership for more options. Will update when I hear something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
After riding more old issues return. Went by dealership to see what next steps would be. They are contacting Triumph and will let me know. I also made a follow up call to Triumph since I have an open case to put them on notice that none of the “fixes” to date have worked and I had gone by dealership for more options. Will update when I hear something.
What did Triumph say? At this point, they know it's an issue. I've probably talked to everyone in that department throughout the course of this debacle. My bike is still in the shop. To their credit, they are doing everything they can to address the issue. To date, multiple bleed attempts, new master cylinder, new ABS pump, new caliper. No improvement. Only thing left is replacing the brake line, at which point the entire system will have been replaced. If that doesn't work (not optimistic), that pretty much confirms the Brembo system used here is defective by design. I hope to know one way or the other very soon.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this on their 16+ Speed?
Yea, I’ve had the same issue with my 16. Dealer couldn’t solve it. In the end I traded for a 2019.
My 2019 with 7,000 miles is better but still isn’t what I think it should be.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #159 (Edited)
Yea, I’ve had the same issue with my 16. Dealer couldn’t solve it. In the end I traded for a 2019.
My 2019 with 7,000 miles is better but still isn’t what I think it should be.
Difference between 1st and second pull on the '19? Are they using the same model Brembo front brake on that as well? What a mess, if so. Did they give you full value on trade due to selling a defective product? Standard trade in value on these is horrible. We've heard from several folks that have experienced this on their Triples...I wonder if there are some post '16s out there that don't have this issue? Is there anyone out there that has a solid front brake?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Update. This week I have been speaking with Triumph directly. At first they were going to replace all brake components. But then they sent the techs from their corporate office to the local dealership to bleed the brakes again and now say it is fine and it is normal to have a longer first pull than second pull as long as it is consistent. So I will be picking my bike up tomorrow. A bit aggravating. Issues started before 500 mile service. Bike has been in the shop 6-7 times and no improvement. This has been going on since new. I have only owned the bike about 20 months so technically it falls under the lemon law if I wanted to go that route.

141 - 160 of 165 Posts