Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

121 - 140 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Picked up my bike this morning. Brakes felt firm first pull. Rode for an hour. Dealership kept it for a couple of days before I picked it up and rode it too. Time will tell but so far so good.
Hey, any update here? My brakes are completely unsafe to ride at this point. Almost a 2" difference between 1st and second pull. 1st pull hits the grip, even with lever adjusted all of the way out. Taking it back to the shop and not accepting it back unless 1st and 2nd pulls are identical this time. This has really become a major PITA.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
This is painful to follow.

And at risk of sounding like a broken record because I've said it so many times before it'll never work because it's not air in the system.

Call me cynical but I wonder if the 'new' bleed procedure is actually a rehash of TSB # 78 first issued back in 2005?
I've had my system bled by the dealer no less than 5 times, the last few under direction of the Triumph tech department. Sure didn't fix my issue. Had to keep bringing it in to repeat the same act of futility. Good times! And here I am again with this bulls!t.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So far so good with Triumph’s “new” bleed procedure. I assume taking the calipers off and pressing the pistons back in may have helped. At least temporarily. Time will tell.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
So far so good with Triumph’s “new” bleed procedure. I assume taking the calipers off and pressing the pistons back in may have helped. At least temporarily. Time will tell.
Thanks for the update. Do you know the name of the tech at Triumph USA that they consulted with? Strangely, some of them seem to have no idea about this issue.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No clue. My dealership Ridge Motorsports in Batesburg-Leesville SC was dealing with them. Apparently Triumph was asking for pictures of brake lever travel first pull and second pull because of complaints as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
No clue. My dealership Ridge Motorsports in Batesburg-Leesville SC was dealing with them. Apparently Triumph was asking for pictures of brake lever travel first pull and second pull because of complaints as well.
Thanks. To be clear, your first pull and second pull are identical now?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
For now they are. Time will only tell if they stay the same.....
Thanks. I contacted your dealer to get some insight. Taking my bike in for one final shot at resolution, then initiating a lemon law claim. Fortunately, NY's LL is pretty robust. I really want to love this bike, but currently just feeling resentment. Grateful for my '68 that always brings the smiles!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Keep us posted please and if you could report to them that too many people are having the exact same problem it should help get a recall going.
Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #133 (Edited)
Keep us posted please and if you could report to them that too many people are having the exact same problem it should help get a recall going.
Thanks
Will do. It's so strange that nobody there seems to have encountered this issue before. Obviously, several people have had similar multiple failed attempts at resolution by their dealers. I picked up a TU250X beater to ride while it's in the shop. Jesus, I wish the Speed Triple had similar brakes lol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
My 2017 was ok new but a some point the brake lever issue started.
Yeah, I started to notice mine at around 3K...could have been there longer, but it flagged for me around then. I suspect there are a lot of folks that don't notice it much due to infrequent riding. Not at all impressed with Brembo. PITA

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thanks
As parts/service don't seem to have any impact on this issue, that would be a hell of a recall. Total system replacement with a different model of brake seems to be the only viable solution. These are proving to be irreparable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am 100% convinced of what Terry, Steve and Decosse have said. It's the calipers pistons seals retracting the piston. People here have reported master cylinder been replaced, another the ABS pump and many multiple bleeds with different techniques, but to no avail. I will go the route of cleaning the pistons and lubricating, before replacing the seal.
That's the issue. I lube piston seals with a mixture of ester oil and ceramic particles, applied with a thin brush and very little quantity. Be careful don't touch pads and rotors with that. No more spongy lever

·
Registered
417 Posts
That is awesome news. I still have to work on that project. It will happen around spring time, having a 1988 Honda Hurricane rebuilt project going on now.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That's the issue. I lube piston seals with a mixture of ester oil and ceramic particles, applied with a thin brush and very little quantity. Be careful don't touch pads and rotors with that. No more spongy lever
Interesting concoction. It must reduce the seals grip on the pistons just enough that they can slide forward in the infinitesimal increments needed to accommodate pad wear yet provide sufficient hold that the seals still distort fractionally and so retract the tiniest amount needed to avoid pad/disc drag. Reassuring that you're addressing the root cause and not blindly assuming it's air in the system as many do.

Ceramic particles eh? Where on earth do get ceramic particles or do you grind up an old toilet fixture?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The 05 and early 06 Speed Triples had this issue with their Nissin calipers (seals gripping and holding back caliper pistons). Switching to ceramic coated pistons (part way through the 06 model year) solved the problem, and eventually Triumph came out with a goodwill fix for free, whereby they supplied a kit with ceramic pistons to be fitted by their dealers for anyone with the affected models. Strangely enough not every bike was affected. A work around that I used before I got the goodwill fix on my 05, was to squeeze the pistons back into the calipers and them pump the brakes until a full lever was achieved. This would work for a week or two but the spongey lever gradually returned, and I would squeeze the pistons back again. After I got the ceramic coated pistons fitted the brakes were excellent.
I have had a 2009 model for several years and now have a 15th Anniversary model, both with Brembo brakes. They are sensational brakes, close to the best I've ever experienced. Its hard to believe that Brembo in these later year models have made changes to the braking system that has lead to these problems.
It seems that Trisonico has found a good solution.

121 - 140 of 165 Posts