Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
341 - 360 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fawking hell, this thing is still going? Having the same issue here. '16 Speedy R. So if I skimmed this novel correctly... getting an off-the-shelf RCS 19 (NOT OEM) M/C, and replacing caliper seals and pistons is the solution?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Selling that defective bike without fixing the brakes is shameful. The person who made that decision on behalf of triumph should be held to account for the potential harm that bike may cause.

I'm surprised that the dealership who is selling this bike hasn't noticed the brakes.
They know very well all about it. That's the shocking part. They were the shop that was unable to fix the issue after no less than 5 times in (in their defense, you can't fix a problem with defective parts). I was told that Triumph USA directed them to try to sell it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
Hopefully anyone who may be interested in the bike will notice the lever going to the bars before they test ride it and then not buy the bike, and if this happens with a few people maybe the dealer will have to fix the brakes properly. Am amazed that they have it on the floor for sale even after the issue has been pointed out to them yet again, unbelievable and hopefully no one is injured or worse. If the bike was returned from Triumph without the problem being rectified would have thought that the dealer would have checked the brakes had been rectified prior to accepting the bike back as ready for sale. Wonder if there are any porky pies being told by the dealer and the bike has simply been pushed back on the floor for sale?
Maybe Triumph isn't concerned about any negative press from an insignificant 😡 thing like being able to stop at the first pull on you front brake lever? Corporate world penny pinching lost the plot on this one.
They had the lever adjusted all of the way out to make it less noticeable. Interesting to note, every single Brembo equipped bike on their showroom floor had significant 1st/2nd pull disparity. 2021...5 years after they knew about the issue and they're still rolling with it. I guess so many folks just accept it as normal that they don't think it's a big enough deal to mess with. I really don't get it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Fawking hell, this thing is still going? Having the same issue here. '16 Speedy R. So if I skimmed this novel correctly... getting an off-the-shelf RCS 19 (NOT OEM) M/C, and replacing caliper seals and pistons is the solution?
I don't know you really need a new MC, but the seals and pistons for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent. That's the direction I was leaning. Just ordered the rebuild kit from Brakemasters. Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread. I just picked up this bike a few weeks ago, and firmly believe you guys just saved me weeks of agony and probably a lot of this ---->$$$$

·
Registered
22 Posts
They know very well all about it. That's the shocking part. They were the shop that was unable to fix the issue after no less than 5 times in (in their defense, you can't fix a problem with defective parts). I was told that Triumph USA directed them to try to sell it.
Rebuilding the brakes with new pistons and seals wouldn't be a big job for a mechanic with a workshop. I'm pretty sure the parts would be a LOT cheaper for them to buy too. It's disgraceful really

·
Registered
551 Posts
Rock solid. The bike has only put on a little over 2000kms since I rebuilt the brakes and upgraded the MC. Brakes are brilliant so far
I don't have a major problem with the brakes on my 2014 S3R, but they never matched the Brembos on my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter...I have a softish first pull, but if you pull hard you'll get the necessary braking force. Was wondering if the MC upgrade itself would improve the performance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have a major problem with the brakes on my 2014 S3R, but they never matched the Brembos on my 2010 Ducati Streetfighter...I have a softish first pull, but if you pull hard you'll get the necessary braking force. Was wondering if the MC upgrade itself would improve the performance.
The mc upgrade certainly transformed the braking performance for me. The 19RCS has adjustable ratios of 19x18 or 19x20 so it can be set to either full force or firm yet progressive.

·
Registered
505 Posts
FINALLY!!!! NEWS FROM DOT.
This case will pick speed now that they are talking to Triumph.
This is what we have been waiting for, so please reach out and call or email Santiago Maldonado. Give him all info you have about your dealings with the brake issue and dealership experience. Apparently Triumph is denying the existence of the brake problem, in the absence of supporting evidence by customers and dealerships. Dealers receipts were not given to me all under: "No need to, since it's all under warranty, so worries."
Pass this to any other forum, that you know with the soft brake pull issue.
Email your info/photos/receipts to:

Santiago Maldonado

Office Of Defects Investigation

Safety Defects Investigator

Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590

Office: 202-366-7232 Cell: 443-655-6524

EMAIL:
[email protected]

·
Registered
46 Posts
FINALLY!!!! NEWS FROM DOT.
This case will pick speed now that they are talking to Triumph.
This is what we have been waiting for, so please reach out and call or email Santiago Maldonado. Give him all info you have about your dealings with the brake issue and dealership experience. Apparently Triumph is denying the existence of the brake problem, in the absence of supporting evidence by customers and dealerships. Dealers receipts were not given to me all under: "No need to, since it's all under warranty, so worries."
Pass this to any other forum, that you know with the soft brake pull issue.
Email your info/photos/receipts to:

Santiago Maldonado

Office Of Defects Investigation

Safety Defects Investigator

Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590

Office: 202-366-7232 Cell: 443-655-6524

EMAIL:
[email protected]
I missed a call from him this afternoon and will be contacting him in the morning. he called my phone. I couldn't believe it!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Call him tomorrow ASAP, he is leaving on vacation in a day or 2.
He asked me to gather and email all my parts receipts, photos and history of my dealership experience.
Even if we don't get a RECALL, we can get a voluntary/goodwill parts replacement out of warranty. Me, I just want my $600 I spent fixing this BS brake soft pull.

·
Registered
52 Posts
congrats on getting this moving, i now have a very slight hope that something will get done. I have had the double pump issue to some degree since new (2016 thruxtonR), with various flushes, bleeds, cleanings giving temporary reprieves, but I would love to leave this behind. My local triumph service manager actually apologized last time i was in that they couldnt get the brakes properly sorted. (NHSTA tracking number 11428493)

But, the reason I came here is to see if anyone knows if there is a bolt on solution maybe using a higher spec brembo caliper. For example the thruxtonR TFC from 2020 used the M50 caliper (not sure if it has the same problems or not). If there are known good drop in replacements I would definitely work to acquire and use them while waiting for triumph/brembo to be forced to step up and make things right.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Call him tomorrow ASAP, he is leaving on vacation in a day or 2.
He asked me to gather and email all my parts receipts, photos and history of my dealership experience.
Even if we don't get a RECALL, we can get a voluntary/goodwill parts replacement out of warranty. Me, I just want my $600 I spent fixing this BS brake soft pull.
I am calling him now. I have not been to the dealer over the issue, however, as they are some distance away and I knew that it would not fix the issue.

·
Registered
505 Posts
congrats on getting this moving, i now have a very slight hope that something will get done. I have had the double pump issue to some degree since new (2016 thruxtonR), with various flushes, bleeds, cleanings giving temporary reprieves, but I would love to leave this behind. My local triumph service manager actually apologized last time i was in that they couldnt get the brakes properly sorted. (NHSTA tracking number 11428493)

But, the reason I came here is to see if anyone knows if there is a bolt on solution maybe using a higher spec brembo caliper. For example the thruxtonR TFC from 2020 used the M50 caliper (not sure if it has the same problems or not). If there are known good drop in replacements I would definitely work to acquire and use them while waiting for triumph/brembo to be forced to step up and make things right.
I would love to know a bolt on too and would do quickly, just to get rid of this once and for all, although mine are working now. I have hope this time around, after having change all moving part that are related to the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am calling him now. I have not been to the dealer over the issue, however, as they are some distance away and I knew that it would not fix the issue.
EDIT: I just spoke to Santiago. He seems to be on top of the issue, but a lack of documentation is an issue. I am part of that problem as I don't see going to the dealer if they are not ready to fix the issue. I have a close friend that was a brake and suspension engineer for Delphi for 30 years, (now works at a smaller firm). He looked it over and said bleeding isn't going to fix it.

I did offer to have my bike shipped to Ohio for testing if the complaint goes that far.

341 - 360 of 443 Posts