Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have been doing a bit more research because my dealer is going to be looking at my brakes again next week & i found a couple of interesting posts...Neither were on triumps but both related to the double pump syndrome...Post 1. An owner mentioned that he resolved the problem by drilling out the small hole (only slightly larger) which allows the brake fluid to pass from the brake line to the caliper...The claim was that because the hole was originally too small there was not enough fluid passing through to the caliper on the first pull...This makes some sense to me ! Post 2. From a Ducati forum -- After about 2 weeks the dealer tells me its ready, and that the way to fix it is to activate the abs system, letting the air travel to the caliper, then bleeding caliper. Then repeat, until no more air is in the ABS motor. Now my lever is rock hard all the time. Its kinda a bad design, not putting a bleeder on the pump, but your dealer should be able to take care of it.....Has anyone tried these ideas ?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Thanks Red Baron, I dont think i will be reading 20 pages, but i do get the picture...I dont expect my dealer to resolve the issue by bleeding the system, but because i have put in a warranty claim (as many have not) this is the path the dealer needs to follow because Triumph have told them to...Once they discover it does not work, we can go forward from there...I have also put in a complaint with the NHTSA...Communication with Santiago was good at 1st but now it seems to have stopped completely ? The only fix i have read about was by Jeevs, who replaced the pistons, seals & master cylinder....You said that i should understand what the problem is...is there something i have missed ? My understanding is that no one (except Jeevs ?) has permanently solved the issue, but i could be wrong !...Santiago (NHTSA) told me - More owners need to put in a warranty claim with Triumph & register their complaint with the NHTSA instead of just complaining about the issue on forums...So as you can see, i have been very active in trying to get actual results while also trying to keep myself informed, but i appologise if my research is not to your satisfaction...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No harm done & my apology did include a little sarcasm, lol...It is good to know there is a fix...I will forward your post to my dealer for reference & hopefully they will step up to the plate at some point...Thanks for your persistence in this matter....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
My dealer bled the brakes the very 1st time i mentioned putting in a claim, but this made no difference at all to their operation & he told me that Triumph would do no more to help & they believe there is no issue...After this, i decided to bleed the brakes again & discovered that the shop had done the bleed nipples up ridiculously tight....Then, after bleeding them "which again made no difference" i emailed the dealer & told them i wanted an official claim to be forwarded to Triumph....Soon after this they contacted me & said Triumph had told them to bleed the ABS system on my bike, so i agreed to let them do this but supplied them with a lot of evidence from this forum so they could see that the problem has nothing to do with air in the system & everything to do with the caliper pistons...I also made a point of telling them not to force the bleed nipples so tight a 2nd time because i did not want the calipers damaged...When i picked the bike up from the shop the brakes were operating correctly, so i said thanks, but explained that this was unlikely to last...The following day i decided to check how tight the bleed nipples were by cracking each side once & draining a tiny bit of fluid out of the "over full" master cylinder...The bleed nipples were so tight that they were creaking when i tried to loosen them...I then made the foolish mistake of letting the dealer know that i was annoyed by this, and i was concerned that the calipers may have sustained damage because of their heavy handedness...The dealer told me that i had probably let air into the system "which is obviously rubbish" and he would not warranty the brakes anymore because i had tampered with their work...and he obviously never responded to my concerns...The brakes have now been operating correctly for nearly 2 weeks since that conversation, so time will tell ! If the brakes do return to their previous state of operation, i will take it up with Triumph & continue to annoy them until something is done to resolve the problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts