Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's the cost of the upgraded pistons? It would seem to me to be easier to just pull the calipers, replace them and bleed the system in a couple of hours rather than leave my bike with the dealer for an unknown amount of time and fight with them about the issue.
'
I get it. Its a principle thing, but I have reached a point in my life where time is more valuable than a few dollars. Keep up the good fight, but I am just going to buy the pistons, pop them in one lazy afternoon, then bleed it and call it done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FINALLY!!!! NEWS FROM DOT.
This case will pick speed now that they are talking to Triumph.
This is what we have been waiting for, so please reach out and call or email Santiago Maldonado. Give him all info you have about your dealings with the brake issue and dealership experience. Apparently Triumph is denying the existence of the brake problem, in the absence of supporting evidence by customers and dealerships. Dealers receipts were not given to me all under: "No need to, since it's all under warranty, so worries."
Pass this to any other forum, that you know with the soft brake pull issue.
Email your info/photos/receipts to:

Santiago Maldonado

Office Of Defects Investigation

Safety Defects Investigator

Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, Washington, DC 20590

Office: 202-366-7232 Cell: 443-655-6524

EMAIL:
[email protected]
I missed a call from him this afternoon and will be contacting him in the morning. he called my phone. I couldn't believe it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Call him tomorrow ASAP, he is leaving on vacation in a day or 2.
He asked me to gather and email all my parts receipts, photos and history of my dealership experience.
Even if we don't get a RECALL, we can get a voluntary/goodwill parts replacement out of warranty. Me, I just want my $600 I spent fixing this BS brake soft pull.
I am calling him now. I have not been to the dealer over the issue, however, as they are some distance away and I knew that it would not fix the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am calling him now. I have not been to the dealer over the issue, however, as they are some distance away and I knew that it would not fix the issue.
EDIT: I just spoke to Santiago. He seems to be on top of the issue, but a lack of documentation is an issue. I am part of that problem as I don't see going to the dealer if they are not ready to fix the issue. I have a close friend that was a brake and suspension engineer for Delphi for 30 years, (now works at a smaller firm). He looked it over and said bleeding isn't going to fix it.

I did offer to have my bike shipped to Ohio for testing if the complaint goes that far.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Be that as it may, other manufacturers have addressed the issue by fixing it or recalling.
Triumph is not acknowledging the issue at all and is claiming that the owners are lying, since there is no evidence of it. This is what the DOT investigator told me about the guy he is dealing with in England from Triumph.
That's what he told me as well. They think we all got together and made this **** up on the forums. It doesn't help that most of us don't go to the dealership for service, (unless they are prepared to fix the issue). I don't think I have ever let anyone other than myself work on any of my bikes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just received the following letter. I have no receipts as I don't let dealers work on my bikes. I am going to offer to ship it to Ohio, however for testing.

Hello,

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has officially opened an investigation on Triumph Motorcycle for loss of braking performance on certain 2016-2019 Triumph Thruxton and Speed Triple motorcycles . As an investigative follow-through, I am reaching out to Triumph owners that filed a complaint with our agency. Below are some questions we are asking consumers that filed a complaint with NHTSA. Please take a look and if you have the time NHTSA would appreciate a follow-up. Additionally, if there is more information you wish to share with NHTSA regarding your failure incident please do so.

1. Do you still own the motorcycle?
  2. How often do you ride?
  3. How often has the brakes failed or feel spongy?
  4. Do you perform your own service updates or does the dealer?
  5. Did servicing the bike fix the braking issue?
  6. Do you have receipts for you visits to the dealers?
  7. If needed, would you allow NHTSA to ship you motorcycle to Ohio to our VRTC ( Vehicle Research Testing Center) for inspecting and testing? By responding to this (Yes) does not obligate you.

Thank you,

Santiago

·
Registered
46 Posts
My reply below...

Santiago,

Thank you for following up!

1) I still own the bike

2)I ride it daily unless I need the space in my car, so approximately 10k miles per year on average. (Much less this year due to working from home often)

3)They feel spongy every time the lever is pulled for the first time. The pistons in the calipers are hanging. It is not a bleeding issue.

4) I do not have a dealer near me, and I do all my own service anyway

5) I have not serviced them other than bleeding the system as well as the master, which I do on all my vehicles regularly. The Brembos on other vehicles are solid as an oak. The Triumph, not so much.

6) No dealer receipts. I will bring it in for repair when they are committed to solving the actual issue.

7) You can absolutely take my bike and test it. As a racetrack instructor and paramedic, this issue needs to be resolved as soon as possible. Stopping a motorcycle capable of this much speed is life or death. I'll do whatever it takes.

Highest regards,

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just received a call from Triumph and they are going to contact my local dealer and "Do whatever it takes to fix the issue". He could not elaborate but I am willing to give it a shot. Maybe they will replace the calipers or seals/ pistons. I doubt it, but it is worth a shot before I tear it down and fix it myself.

It will be a few weeks before I can get it into their shop, but I will keep the forum posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Triumph rep called me last night too and asked if i was still having brake problems mentioned in my NHTSA filing. I said I was, and his folllow-up was if my brake subsystem was all still original oem -- levers, master cylinder, calipers, pistons, pads. The conclusion was he asked me to bring my bike in to my local dealer and initiate a goodwill warranty claim. I mentioned taking it in several times over the past 5 years and he said they intended the local guys to work closely with Triumph to figure the issue out. I guess it won't hurt to drop it off again.... but i did just buy the braketech pistons and was looking forward to installing them!
I am going to give the local dealer a try as well. I have never let anyone work on my bikes in the 40 years I have been riding, but I will put it on a trailer next week and let them crack on with it. It is 18 degrees out right now, so it is just going to sit anyway until warmer weather prevails. If they can't fix it, I will just replace the seals and pistons myself. I just hate doing brake work. Bleeding is a pain in the ass and I hate slimy brake fluid with a passion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts