Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday all of a sudden my new speed with only 950KM clocked got the 'hiccups' while riding. This quickly worsened in engine stall while waiting for a stoplight...
Although the yellow tanklight was on for about 40KM I was sure that there was enough reserve left.

Lucky for me there was a gasstation right next to the stoplight. Refilling the tank all the way upto the opening took exactly 15,95 litre. This assured me that my initial guess was right.
Therefore there must have been 2litre left in the tank when the 'hiccups' started! After the refill the Speed's engine started & operates normally again as before the hiccups occured.

Do you know why this can happen with still about 10% petrol left?
Contaminated tank? Clogged tubing?

FYI although I bought the bike with only 550KM clocked, it's still a Speed from July'06! Therefore any contamination due to petrol decomposition (gumming?) sounds like a logical explanation.
Besides this occasion, has the bike's operation during my 400KM (with always more than 10% left!) been completely troublefree...

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plastic tank 16.3 litres, metal tank 18 litres.
Which do you have?
Are u sure? My speed has indeed a plastic tank!

Why is the original usermanual provided with this bike also/already stating 18litre?! In 2006 there was only the S3 Speed with a plastic tank...
Thx for your reply

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plastic tank 16.3 litres, metal tank 18 litres.
Which do you have?
Today I phoned Triumph BeNeLux in an attempt to clearify this uncertainty. The T-tech I spoke to was almost sure that both the plastic and metal tanks of the S3 Speeds have about the same volume.
He only remarked that the petrol pump used on the 2007+ Speeds with metal tanks is somewhat bigger and therefore can contain slightly more petrol.

His advice was to clean the tank of any debree (e.g. sludge) and this should regain more usable tankvolume closer to the claimed 18litre.
Additionally he strongly adviced me to always do a tankstop asap after the yellow low fuel light comes up to prevent any debree from entering the fueling circuits/ injectors potentionally resulting in this kind of behavior.

Can a 2005-2006 S3 owner please confirm this? Does the plastic tank indeed hold about 18ltr?
regards, Robert.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have 2007 with plastic tank, manual states 18 liters. However, if the metal tank has the same external shape/dimensions as the plastic one (and I'm sure it does) then given the thickness of the plastic tank walls I would agree that capacity is less then that of the metal one.
What do you care, really? Assume 16 liters and fill up accordingly. The lowest level I've gone to was 4.215 US gallons to full, approx. 16 liters. If it bothers you, dump all the fuel and refill from zero, you'll have your exact measure.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK clear. thanks.
funny that the original supplied s3/955i usermanual combi supplied with my S3 (from AUG'06) also states 18litre (4,76gallon) for fueltank capacity! May be the quoted specs within this s3/955i manual were already anticipating the upcoming metal tank for the late '07 S3? ;)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do I care?
I don't, but almost 10% difference between advertised and reality is quite a lot and since the bike is new to me taking the manual for granted almost set me up for a long & heavy walk with the S3 to the nearest gasstation!
Almost... :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
Can a 2005-2006 S3 owner please confirm this? Does the plastic tank indeed hold about 18ltr?
I have an early '07 with a plastic tank and have once or twice put in 16.5 Litres

Something to remember is that the advertised tank capacity may not actually be the amount of fuel the tank can hold, rather the internal volume of the tank. There is always the bit at the top of the tank that will always have air as an example

Also, the external dimensions of the metal and plastic tanks are slightly different, I know Geelong Carbon Craft have different tank pads for each type

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an early '07 with a plastic tank and have once or twice put in 16.5 Litres
There is always the bit at the top of the tank that will always have air as an example...
Thx 4 your confirmation.
I rest my case and accept reality... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts