Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Looking for a little advice, I'm getting ready to change the oil on my 2003 Sprint ST to put it away for the winter. I know the OEM oil for the bike is Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W40, unfortunately I can't find it anywhere. If I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 (that I can get) instead am I begging for trouble or should I be okay?

Thanks,
dave

PS: I did search and found the previous topics on non-motorcycle-specific oil and the info recently posted from Mobil 1, I'm more wondering if it's a good idea to use 15W50 grade versus the 15W40 grade that's listed in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
458 Posts
All of those weight are good.

10/40 or 15/50 is ideal.
I am running 10/40 synthetic in my 2008. 12k miles and it doesn't leak or burn a drop. I keep it real clean and change it every 2-3k with a new filter. My 08 owners maual says 10/40 or 15/50.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I did the same thing twice to my supplying dealer on the oil when I ordered the last couple times....ordered the stuff to do an oil change, recived 15w50. When I looked in the service manual, it reads 15w40. Called him both times because I thought it was a mistake. He reassured me that the 15w50 is what I have been using since 500miles. I was like "DOH". Yes, you are fine with the 15w50. I use it year round.

(oh no....will this become yet another 'oil' thread!!?? LOL)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I was a little worried I was going to get blasted for this oil based thread. Mind is not at ease...

cheers,
dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts