Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just for my bike back tonight after having it serviced and fitted with new Pirelli Sport Demons.

I decided to try the larger 150/70 and 110/80 sizes, and I must say I'm impressed with the look and the handling.

I heard some people complain of slower handling with the bigger tyres, so I had the forks raised 10mm through the yikes.

I can't wait to test them properly on a dry twisty road.

Pics coming soon.

Mat :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
It would be interesting to compare the SD with radicals, like PR3 Road Attack 2 and Angel ST. I wonder if anyone has tried a meaningful comparison.
Simmo

·
Registered
509 Posts
i tried the conti-attack 2's 150 rear and 110 front and it was a disaster for me.had an extreme wobble over 70 mph. i have a 2010 and i have had handling issues from the moment i left the dealer.i run 2810 hagons 10mm taller,steering damper, fork brace,race tech front forks.the conti.s might be great,my bike doesn't like them-i went to 140 -110 sd combo and it makes my bike handle ok.

·
Registered
509 Posts
actually i still have those conti's-they are pretty much brand new-if anyone is in the tracy area they can have them

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are the pics :)

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
That's cause the conti's are trash. The PR3s are the way to go, and now we'll wait for the purist haters to chime in.
Conti's on mine are best so far for grip and traction. Wearing faster than PR2. Keen to try PR3's next.
Simmo

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had the Michelin Pilot 3's 150 rear, 110 front on for about 7000km now. Fantastic. Great grip, very confidence inspiring even in the wet. Rode way too much in the rain this year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been running on 150/70 and 110/80 for a couple of years (over 22 000 kms so far), and have found no disadvantage in changing from OEM sizes.

Some might say that larger dimensions affact handling/steering, but I haven't noticed any negative effects. Maybe even bit on the contrary, since these dimensions are "too wide" (in theory, that is) the tyre profile gets slightly rounder than stock (= quicker in steering). This is my very own theory, but then I'm an Business School Gradute, not an engineer... :D

The wider/rounder profile har one disadvantage, though - it's very difficult to get rid of the chicken stripe... :)

Currently I'm using Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II in rear and Roadsmart I in front. I'm on my third rear and my second front Roadsmart tyre, so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't got to the edge of my new tyres yet, but that's partly to blame on the weather in Melbourne being typically ****ty, or me being tied down with work commitments.

It will be nice to have a bit more "room" on the tyres though. It seemed almost too easy to get to the edge of the stock tyres, even just riding around the city.

My steering is definitely not slower than previous. I don't know how much of a part raising the forks played in this, but it now feels more like my old Buell XB12s did when turning into corners, it almost wants to "fall over".

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know! I cut the fender screws and it solved the issue... But it left a mark in the tires. Though shallow, it is annoying.. Since hey were/are new.... But it works fine now...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
That's strange I wonder if they had the wrong screws or something. The thing that confuses me is that the 110/80-18 tire is shorter in diameter than the stock 100/90-18. Oh well as long as it's all worked, glad it didn't wreck anything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts