Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, thinking someone here will have some wisdom, as I'd really like to narrow down the scope of the problem, rather than paying shop rate for a mechanic to scratch his head and make phone calls to Triumph.

I had the 15K servicing done, and a few days after I got the bike back, I noticed that my rear brake is, well, pretty much not working at all. The brake lever goes all the way down to the stop with no resistance as you'd expect from a hydraulic system. However, there isn't a fluid leak or other indication that brake fluid is going someplace it shouldn't.

The behavior doesn't change, if the motor is on, or off. The ABS system doesn't see a fault (when you start the bike and get rolling, the ABS light will go out the first time you use the brakes).

So what I'm thinking, is there's some kind of solenoid that is designed to shunt the brake pressure to keep the rear wheel from locking up under braking, and this solenoid is stuck "open" so that hydraulic pressure never reaches the caliper pistons.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, what was done to fix?

Thanks, y'all. :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I don't believe in coincidences like that. It's almost always a result of what was just done to/on the bike.
I'm not sure if that service changes the brake fluid, but it sounds like there is air in the system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what's weird, I've ridden a bike with air in the line, and while it was spongy, you still got the impression that there was some pressure. This, there's none at all, so there must be a really big bubble in the line. If it wasn't ABS I'd be doing my own brake work, but putting an electronic gizmo into my brake circuit has me second-guessing prior experience.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Who did the service? If the dealer, then have them fix it.
If you do most of your own maintenance, I suggest getting DealerTool. You can activate the ABS switch to properly bleed / flush brake fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts