Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I originally was using my welcome/introduction thread in the new member's section as sort of a build/progression thread for my '14 mag wheel as I tried to add a few cafe touches and build it up. The thread got a little long there so I'm going to move it over here.

So I picked up the bike in early December of '15, it was a leftover '14 that was still in the crate at the dealership. This is my first bike, had been itching to get a triumph after falling in love with one at a local dealership a few years back when I had my Yamaha scooter, and combined with my love to turn wrenches and have a little fun, it seemed perfect place to start a build.

Within a week of having the bike, I went and ordered a set of Dime City Cycles clubman bars And a set of grips to match my bmx bike. Was torn between these and going all in with clip ons but so far I'm pretty happy and know I can switch up later if I want

Next up, I came across a thruxton fairing on eBay for a good price. Wasn't looking for white, but the color didn't matter and a quick rattle can job later I had a black fairing/fly screen.

Next up, I kinda strayed from my initial cafe plan and ordered some storage. I had been using the bike to commute to work and carrying a bag was getting old, plus I was looking for something to keep my camera in so I have it when I go on cruises. An ammo can kit from Blood Brothers inc worked well for me. Sometimes function has to come before form, since I ride it all the time.

Next little thing was to ditch the rear passenger pegs. I don't ever really want to ride two up, doesn't appeal to me, but I didn't want to pay the ridiculous price for the kits that are out there, so I went to a hardware store, picked up some bolts, nuts and washers, and ditched the pegs for less than $5

After that, and keeping with the cheap route, I wanted to relocate my turn signals, so I ordered a thruxton bracket from the local dealership for about $9 I think. There was a slight fitment issue, there were mounting tabs or spacers where the rectifier would go, so I had to cut them off, then it mounted up fine

And after that, came one of, if not the biggest planned part. Picked up and arrow 2-2 exhaust. After a relatively easy install, and a quick tune from the dealer (lined up nicely with my first service) the bike sounds and runs like a dream. No regrets on that purchase at all.

And bringing it up to date, I installed a couple folding bar end mirrors from DCC yesterday, finally ditching the Mickey Mouse looking ones that I had. Looks wise, probably one of the biggest improvements I've done. Really cleaned it up and had the added bonus of making it easier to park in my back yard/make it through my gate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice bike! I got a '14 in black. Did the cables give you problems with the clubman bar? Thinking of doing the same on mine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no issues with the cables at all. I was concerned about that one myself at first but figured I would figure something out if a problem arose. Luckily nothing did and they worked perfectly

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
hello, i live about 60 miles north of you, shamokin area + worked for Novingers a lot in your area in building construction. i too have a maggie 2012 vintage, great bikes @ fair prices. your ride looks good as do most all bonnevilles!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Here's a free mod that will make it look better instantly: use the reflectors to hold down the inside of a trash can.

I know, I know, the reflector police will get on me for that.

I got my Yamaha scooter the opposite way you did. Got bike first. Love that thing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a free mod that will make it look better instantly: use the reflectors to hold down the inside of a trash can.

I know, I know, the reflector police will get on me for that.

I got my Yamaha scooter the opposite way you did. Got bike first. Love that thing.
I considered ditching them, but PA inspection laws can be tricky or vague. For instance: "A motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one red reflector to the rear".

That's what the DMV/state says about reflectors. Now if I ditch all of them, I may have an issue, but at the same time ditching all but one would look just as bad in my eyes.

Probably should just talk to a shop around here, but haven't found one that I really trust or want to use for service yet. I also need to look into what they would say about removing the rear fender, because while digging through I saw that apparently that doesn't fly here either. But my inspection is coming up, so I'll end up asking those questions here shortly

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have two small red ones built into the license plate bolts. That's it. The laws here are pretty simple. Don't even need turn signals, but if they are there they must work. But if you ride anywhere near where I am you definitely want these clowns to see that blinking light.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that patina on the bars? Did you buy them from dcc unpainted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah it is. I originally got them unpainted, planned on getting them powder coated by a guy I knew but was impatient, threw them on the bike and actually dig the look of the raw/rust.

But after thinking about it, I did pull the reflectors off this morning. So that cleaned it up a little

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

New seat is on, and shows off my little ammo pouch tool pouch I had laying around. Originally an ammo pouch that came with my Mosin Nagant, now it just holds a couple little tools but seems to work well, and fits with the ammo box I have on the other side

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been about 2 years since i updated this, probably a good time to do so. Went though some life stuff that caused me to put my projects to the side, but now it seems like I’ve got more free time, so that means more time to work on stuff. Over the past few months the bike has seen some sizeable changes.

Started with ordering my FEK, motone turn signal brackets, and mini turn signals. Ended up ditching the ammo box and pouches i had for storage in favor of making a move more towards a cafe style bike. Realized that I never really used the storage, when i took it to work i had my backpack, and its not like it was enough to really make a difference, so off they went.

Next and most recently, installed a set of tarozzi low rise clip on bars, TEC ignition relocation, DCC headlight brackets, and TEC rear set controls.

Fitment has been a little wonky with the rearsets. I’ve made them work but they are currently a work in progress, ran into a snag with the forks installing the clip ons that resulted in a gash that probably needed a stitch or 2, but overall after a few rough days and a lot of frustration/learning, the bike is feeling great. Had to ditch the thruxton flyscreen, just didnt seem to fit with the new ears, so I’m a little bummed about that, but overall, stoked

Considering swapping the BC slammer seat for something with a cowl, and looking into a different fairing, but thats down the road, might try to get matching turn signals for the front prior the the DGR, and a couple little things just to clean it up

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bikes looking great. I have the same bike-been watching your build since the start, and my bike went through and is still going through it’s evolution.

May I ask —- How’s the feel of the clip ons and what’s your height?

I have a “low” fat bar on, feels great with no buzz but I’m toying with moving to either clip ons (like yours or perhaps with a slight rise) or DCC “cafe” style clubmans.

Cgq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bikes looking great. I have the same bike-been watching your build since the start, and my bike went through and is still going through it’s evolution.

May I ask —- How’s the feel of the clip ons and what’s your height?

I have a “low” fat bar on, feels great with no buzz but I’m toying with moving to either clip ons (like yours or perhaps with a slight rise) or DCC “cafe” style clubmans.

Cgq

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for the delayed response but I’m 6-6’1”, and the clip ons feel great. Since they are fully adjustable, I was finally able to get everything angled where my wrists were in a more natural position to me, taking some pressure off of it. A lot of bars were close to where I wanted them, but not exactly, this gives me the angle and backsweep that I was looking for.

I went for the ones with I think an inch of rise on them, not sure anymore, but it made a world of difference. I had the DCC cafe bars a while back, but never really liked the feel. These are much higher and feel a lot better.

But too be fair, its still not a cruiser. I dont know if i would want to spend hours upon hours riding with these, and for that reason alone, considered switching everything back before spring. Still haven’t and am toying with the idea, but its probably boredom over the winter more than anything, and once I can actually ride again I’ll forget all about it

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How i finally know its spring time- i got to take the bike out to ride my bike.

Actually posting because this is the only picture i have of the thruxton flyscreen mounted after I added the clip ons. Had to trim it down a fair bit and lose the bottom bracket to get it all to line up but i like it a lot better

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After the end of last season and a couple rides this year, the bike regressed to the previous state: standard foot pegs and tracker bars. Less of the look I dig, more fun and a better ride. My commute to work was much more comfortable, and probably because of that, much quicker.

Might concentrate a little more on some cosmetic stuff- new turn signals, maybe a different and brighter headlight, stuff like that.

Just have to find a couple parts and I’ll be throwing my ammo can back on too.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts