Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
South Australia, between Port Fairy and North of Lorne on the the Great South Highway. Real Sprint roading!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is this the route? Google Map

This is in Victoria. Southern Australia but not South Australia (the state). I haven't been there but I suspect it is very lovely along that route.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tooooo Right!

Is this the route? Google Map

This is in Victoria. Southern Australia but not South Australia (the state). I haven't been there but I suspect it is very lovely along that route.
Yep! have to excuse us Kiwi's, we are Stateless but south is south and that is the route. It really gets interesting East of Millicent, and stays interesting all the way to Geelong. Although travelling by car I could see the possibilites and fun factor

·
Registered
272 Posts
From Adelaide, some riders elect to go by the Great Ocean Rd to go to the MotoGP or Superbike rounds at Phillip Island. Longer than the route across the plains but very scenic. I've personally not done it but if I owned a bucket I'd put it on a list in there. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just had a brainwave. From the map go to satellite view and zoom in. Flippin awesome ride I reckon. Lovecuba I think you need to do this again by bike. Thank you google.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've ridden this stretch (Melbourne to Adelaide and return) a couple times... many years ago the Great Ocean Road (Roughly Geelong to Warrnambool approx. 245Km/150Miles) was signposted at 100Km/h (65Mph) now, it is 80Km/h (50Mph) alot of the way (within Victoria) often slower and highly Policed. Midweek is the best time to ride it, except Dec/Jan when there are holiday makers everywhere, as well as slow moving sightseers and caravans. It IS one of the worlds great motorcycling roads, just be aware that it is also one of the most visited parts of Victoria.

Other things to be aware of, it is a coastal road much of the way, weather changes can be sudden, also expect sand on the road surface, blown up from the beaches by offshore winds, the odd rock fall - rare in my experience - but they do happen. And no I am NOT trying to deter anyone from travelling this awesome stretch of road, just trying to make it safer, having lost more than one friend on this road)

Cheers! G.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Takaka Hill

Yes, have done that on the Sprint I/man. The view from the top is great and brakes get very hot in either direction aye!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Hwy 36 west of Red Bluff, CA. I was amazed at how different northern CA is from the southern part of the state.
I think everybody who rides 36 takes a picture with that sign. I almost posted one myself when this thread came up decided I didn't want to make anybody feel bad. ;)

And yes, NorCal is MUCH different than SoCal.

(I'm not saying it's better....but I am thinking it!)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
just come to Tasmania There is no such thing as a straight road here :)
It's been discussed with the wife as an option....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dang it.. I was always so happy with this one at Lolo Pass..

I bought the GS a year and half ago in Spokane and rode Lolo, 1/2 of Beartooth (snowed in), and Bighorns on the way home..

·
Registered
297 Posts
November 3rd I'll be there. A day to sort out the sprint (I'm taking some parts with me) and then nothing but corners for 10 days. :D

Being in WA the only photo I would have to offer (if it wasn't on my removable drive at work) is the sign for the longest straight road in Australia. Like everyone else I took a photo of my Bike (thunderbird storm at the time) parked in front of it. From memory it's about 140km of dead straight road. Most of the other roads over here just feel like they are that long between corners.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I shall endeavor to study a map of it at my earliest opportunity.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 18 of 18 Posts