Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here so forgive my newbness

But Im looking at a 67 500 twin(the ad says) The seller is asking 1300 its non running(engine is gummed up the ad says) and in 4 out of 10 shape. My thoughts are that he is asking a lil too much and am thinking of offering 800.

Is my offer out of line or about right..

I have always wanted to restore an old Triumph and think this would be a great match for me so any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated...

I plan to come here alot and post picts of the resto :)

in short im super excited to get started on this
TY
Rob

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
depending on your intentions, tinware is expensive. so if the engine needs work, but all the "sheet metal" is there and undented, I'd be tempted (in the UK)

if all the engine is therewith no explosive damage, they can be broughtback to life for not much.

wheels can be painted if the chrome is poor. A new wheel rebuild adds up

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TY
Your replies are much appreciated!

Has a clean title and is registered till 2013. I have a picture that I should have included in the first place.:)

The bike was stripped down for off road, the seller has all the chrome(fenders, badges, ect..)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im going to use this as my build thread, the whole story... All the oozy gooey newbieness..

Here goes :)

The engine wouldn't kick over frozen from most of its life being forgotten on the previous owners property.
Gears were froze up as well.

So I assisted my 2 experienced auto mechanic buddies with opening her up.

finally we got here

our intentions were to try and at least get it to kick over before taking drastic measures..
But it was a learning experience and a great time was had by all..

I think some of the gears will need to be replaced. I'll get some pictures of the bad ones ASAP.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
The engine wouldn't kick over frozen from most of its life being forgotten on the previous owners property.
Gears were froze up as well.
But it was a learning experience and a great time was had by all..
Exactly what owning a classic bike is all about!

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
the amazing thing about the crudiest engine is that after a bit of TLC and paraffin, most of it can look as good as new.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I think some of the gears will need to be replaced. I'll get some pictures of the bad ones ASAP.
Worn/corroded gear teeth will only make noise in 1st,2nd, or 3rd.Once you're in 4th,there's no load on them.

About now,I'd remove the rotor and stator.They look a bit jammed up with goo.Most of the sieze-up may have been in the gearbox and primary.

You'll have a better chance of freeing the pistons,if you leave the head still on the engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Worn/corroded gear teeth will only make noise in 1st,2nd, or 3rd.Once you're in 4th,there's no load on them.

About now,I'd remove the rotor and stator.They look a bit jammed up with goo.Most of the sieze-up may have been in the gearbox and primary.

You'll have a better chance of freeing the pistons,if you leave the head still on the engine.
Hello Mr. Pete

Rotor stator are off the engine spins freely thank goodness, for good measure we removed the plugs and threw in some Marvel Mystery Oil(then replaced the plugs)

not much time for wrenching today.. letting the gears soak a over night I'll hit them with a wire brush tomorrow and asses the damage.(fairly optimistic that they will be fine)

I need to make a list of parts to get on order, where are you guys getting your parts in the U.S.? Ive been looking around but have no experience with the customer service of the parts places I've been looking at.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update

Got the motor dropped off at the machine shop.

gonna order the hard tail from lowbrow tomorrow(2" stretch 1" drop)

still having issues getting the gear change shaft separated from the cover.

At this point should the selector shaft rotate freely till it hits the stops? Or is there something I'm missing?

:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts